Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark
Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1818564] Thu, 19 December 2019 16:50 Go to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
I just checked out a project from git. For some strange reason ALL files and folders are showing a question mark. According to several threads in the internet, on stackflow, etc. this means, that these were not yet checked into a code repo.

But this doesn't make sense! As I said - these were just checked out, so am I supposed to check ALL of them in again just to get rid of these question marks? My colleagues wouldn't be very happy... How do I tell the git plugin, to do away with those markers?
Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1818570 is a reply to message #1818564] Thu, 19 December 2019 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Which version of EGit are you using ?
On which OS / Java version ?
What do you mean by checkout a project from git ?
Please provide steps to reproduce.
Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1818590 is a reply to message #1818570] Fri, 20 December 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse 2019-03 (4.11.0)
EGit 5.5.201910021850
Windows 10 / AdoptOpenJDK 8 - jdk-8.0.222.10-hotspot
?? Checkout from Git means I checked it out using EGit from our company's Git repo (Git speak: I cloned the repo to my local machine).
After that (i.e. right after the cloning) and ever since ALL files show a question mark), which I find mighty irritating, because that normally signals files that were added locally and haven't been committed to git, yet.

What I also find inconsistent with these question marks:
Git Staging view shows NO files as changed (and indeed I haven't changed any, yet)

And - BTW: there seems to be a major bug in the "Synchronize with Workspace" operation: When I click that I invariably get a stack overflow! :-(

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2019 09:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1818592 is a reply to message #1818590] Fri, 20 December 2019 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'd suggest screen shots to show what you mean. Your steps don't describe importing projects in the workspace so following just your steps, the workspace would be empty. Are you sure the projects shown in your workspace are actually physically located in the actual clone's working tree? It seems impossible for a file decorated as being a new uncommitted and that same file not being shown in the staging view in that state...

You might also consider updating to the 2019-12 release because no bugs will be fixed in older releases.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1819352 is a reply to message #1818592] Mon, 13 January 2020 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - I updated to v2019-12.

> Are you sure the projects shown in your workspace are actually physically located in the actual clone's working tree?

Yes, I can!

> It seems impossible for a file decorated as being a new uncommitted and that same file not being shown in the staging view in that state...

That's what I am trying to convey! It seems impossible. And yet, that's exactly what I see!

ALL files are in sync with the Git repo, i.e. "git status" yields:

D:\Projects\KStA_ZH_ZHQuest\code\application>git checkout develop
Switched to branch 'develop'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/develop'.

D:\Projects\KStA_ZH_ZHQuest\code\application>git status
On branch develop
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/develop'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean

D:\Projects\KStA_ZH_ZHQuest\code\application>

And still I see ALL files marked with question-mark - see attached screenshot. Here I just randomly unfolded one of the packages, but ALL files have said question mark.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2020 16:43]

Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1819372 is a reply to message #1819352] Tue, 14 January 2020 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This isn't the same workspace as the one where you have the stack overflow is it? That one also has errors like this:
org.eclipse.team.core.TeamException: An internal error occurred processing subscriber events.
	at org.eclipse.team.internal.core.subscribers.SubscriberEventHandler.processEvent(SubscriberEventHandler.java:330)
	at org.eclipse.team.internal.core.BackgroundEventHandler.processEvents(BackgroundEventHandler.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.team.internal.core.BackgroundEventHandler$1.run(BackgroundEventHandler.java:213)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.egit.core.synchronize.GitSyncInfo.calculateKind(GitSyncInfo.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.team.core.synchronize.SyncInfo.init(SyncInfo.java:401)
	at org.eclipse.egit.core.synchronize.GitResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.getSyncInfo(GitResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.java:604)
	at org.eclipse.egit.core.synchronize.GitResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.getSyncInfo(GitResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.java:585)
	at org.eclipse.team.core.variants.ResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.getSyncInfo(ResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.java:61)
	at org.eclipse.team.core.subscribers.Subscriber.getDiff(Subscriber.java:380)
	at org.eclipse.egit.core.synchronize.GitResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.getDiff(GitResourceVariantTreeSubscriber.java:299)
	at org.eclipse.team.core.subscribers.Subscriber.accept(Subscriber.java:436)
	at org.eclipse.team.core.subscribers.Subscriber.accept(Subscriber.java:445)
So I wouldn't expect this workspace to work properly.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1819385 is a reply to message #1819372] Tue, 14 January 2020 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darn - you are right! That was the log of the old workspace. Attaching a new one.

For this I re-iterated the whole exercise, i.e. threw away my current workspace, created a new one and imported my project into it.

My project is a nested maven project, i.e. there is a parent project that contains about ten child projects. I import that using "Import existing project", I then select the parent project folder (which yields one project), then I tick the "Search for nested projects" checkbox, which yields the entire list (i.e. parent plus all children) and then I click Finish.
Next steps were to adjust the Maven settings and clicking "Maven -> Update Project...". I then let it update and build...
Then I exited and restarted Eclipse (to save that new workspace) and after the restart my first operation was to Trigger a "Synchronize Workspace" ==> Stack Overflow.
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 314.37KB, Downloaded 82 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 14 January 2020 09:50]

Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1820736 is a reply to message #1819385] Tue, 28 January 2020 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Can you check the path of the files shown as non-versioned (decorated with a question mark), right click the file shown
e.g. in package explorer and click "Properties", look at "Resource > Location". Does this path match what you used when
running git status from a terminal ?

Also find the same file in the Git repositories view under <repository name> > Working Tree. Click "Copy Path" on the same file
shown in the Git repositories view. Does it match the path you got from properties in package explorer and the path you ran
git status for ?
Re: Eclipse marks ALL files and folders with question mark [message #1820794 is a reply to message #1820736] Wed, 29 January 2020 07:46 Go to previous message
Bingo! THAT was the reason! Thanks a lot!

Reason: The path I used as Eclipse workspace is using a "logical drive", i.e. it starts with a drive letter 'D:' pointing to my project's root folder. The path in Git's Working Tree contained the "resolved" version, i.e. started from C:\user\....<etc>.
Eventually it pointed to the same directory but of course these two are logically different.

I now changed that in Git's .../.git/config file, restarted Eclipse and finally things are back to normal!

I owe you!

Regards and thanks again!
Michael

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2020 09:06]

Previous Topic:Mutiple user support
Next Topic:Cannot perform operation. Computing alternate solutions.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:10:15 GMT 2024