Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » First Time Downloading Eclipse Photon on Mac - Trying to Run Java 64-bit(Trouble Opening Eclipse - Program Will Not Run At All)
First Time Downloading Eclipse Photon on Mac - Trying to Run Java 64-bit [message #1818398] Sat, 14 December 2019 01:45 Go to next message
Alyssa Williamson is currently offline Alyssa WilliamsonFriend
I am using a MacBook running Yosemite Version 10.10.5.

I'm trying to download Eclipse Photon for my Mac so I can code in Java.
After downloading the application though, I am not given the chance to set anything up at all. index.php/fa/36975/0/(See the attached photo). The program will not run. I understand that I may also have to download a Java 64-bit but I'm not exactly sure what that means.

If someone could tell me what is currently wrong and help me load the program and make sure I can code in Java on it that would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Let me know if I need to share any more information in order to be assisted.
Re: First Time Downloading Eclipse Photon on Mac - Trying to Run Java 64-bit [message #1818409 is a reply to message #1818398] Sat, 14 December 2019 18:32 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Looks like you're trying to run Photon, the 2018 Eclipse release, on Yosemite, the 2014 macOS release. I'd suggest you try the Installer from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ (the download button itself).

The message you're getting is that you must install a valid JDK (Java Development Kit) before trying to run the copy of Eclipse you have downloaded. Go to https://adoptopenjdk.net/ and choose version "OpenJDK 8 (LTS)" and "HotSpot" to download the latest installable that's compatible with Photon. Yosemite is the oldest supported version at the moment--I can't say for sure how long that will be the case.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:C++ project - get code size of functions
Next Topic:Eclipse won't start anymore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:49:50 GMT 2024