Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » RAP 3.1 Windows IE occasionally won't start(RAP application stops working on specific PC)
RAP 3.1 Windows IE occasionally won't start [message #1818287] Wed, 11 December 2019 14:09 Go to next message
John Gymer is currently offline John GymerFriend
A customer is using a RAP3.1-built application on Windows with IE. Generally all is working well with approx 1500 users popping in and out of the application constantly.

RAP appserver is WebSphere running on a load-balanced set of Windows servers.

Once every 1-2 weeks, a random PC gets a problem where the RAP application will not start on that machine - it hangs on the gradient grey startup display and never gets further. No evidence of errors, or comms to the server side.

Even a PC restart does not help.

Logging onto the PC with a different Windows user DOES work, but if they go back to the original Windows user, it still doesn't start.

The only solution for that PC and user is to rebuild their Windows Profile.

Since this seems almost impossible to trace what is happening because it is rare, I thought I'd post this here to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar, and if so, any ideas as to the solution?

There is no evidence that it affects any other websites or browser-based applications - only this particular RAP application.

Customer is not able to try a different browser, and is not in a position to upgrade to a more recent RAP any time soon.

Thanks, John

---
Just because you can doesn't mean you should
Re: RAP 3.1 Windows IE occasionally won't start [message #1819434 is a reply to message #1818287] Wed, 15 January 2020 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Hi John.

unfortunately I can't help. It's a old RAP version on IE, which is tightly coupled with the OS. My guess is that some browser/OS updates caused this failure.

Regards,
Ivan
Re: RAP 3.1 Windows IE occasionally won't start [message #1820666 is a reply to message #1818287] Sat, 25 January 2020 17:10 Go to previous message
Linuxhippy Mising name is currently offline Linuxhippy Mising nameFriend
Hi,

I once obsereved this issue and in my case it was caused by a buggy anti-virus plugin (Trend Micro).
Funny thing is, as soon as IE's developer tools were opened everything worked as expected.

The bug in the plugin was that zero-bytes were treated like "end of file". RAP's rapclient.js is agressivly minified and in a few places "\0" is replaced by a zero-byte. I tried to find specs clarifying wether this is legal / sane but didn't find anything - however browser seem to be able to cope with this.

Good luck finding the root of the cause.

Br, Clemens
Previous Topic:Sorting Occasionally Quits Working in TableViewer
Next Topic:3.11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:47:58 GMT 2024