Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Firebase Authentication and Cloud Firestore(Firebase Authentication and Cloud Firestore)
Firebase Authentication and Cloud Firestore [message #1818109] Fri, 06 December 2019 07:15 Go to next message
Mark Ashworth is currently offline Mark AshworthFriend
Good day,

I am considering using Firebase Authentication and Firestore for an upcoming Eclipse Scout application hosted on Heroku. I have the Hello World demo project now hosted in Heroku so I know that it will work.

The next question is whether anyone has used Firebase Auth in their application for user authentication and authorization.

The second question is whether anyone has used Firestore in conjuction with the ISQLService service interface or whether it is better to utilize Firestore outside as a webservice call (i.e. not to use ISQLService interface).

Kind regards,
Mark Ashworth
Re: Firebase Authentication and Cloud Firestore [message #1818179 is a reply to message #1818109] Mon, 09 December 2019 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andre Wegmueller is currently offline Andre WegmuellerFriend
Hi Mark,

I have no experience with Firebase Auth, but Scout uses the concept of access controllers to implement specific authentication requirements. If Firebase Auth has a Java API, I would use the FormBasedAccessController and provide an implementation of ICredentialVerfier for Firebase (which you must implement).

The ISqlService is an abstraction layer for various RDBMs. It allows a Scout application to run on various relational databases, without changes to the source-code, simply by instantiating the right SqlService class. Typically you pass an SQL query string to the ISqlService, which means when you want to switch between various database-types, every database should understand that query string (which is usually the case when you use ANSI SQL). I don't know Firestore, but it looks like it is a NoSQL database, which means you cannot run SQL statements there. So in my opinion using the ISqlService has no benefits. I would implement a custom service interface for Firestore, like IFirestoreService, or (if you plan to switch between various NoSQL databases) make a more generic IStorageService interface and provide a FirestoreStorageService implementation.

Cheers,
André

Eclipse Scout Homepage | Documentation | GitHub
Re: Firebase Authentication and Cloud Firestore [message #1818180 is a reply to message #1818179] Mon, 09 December 2019 14:54 Go to previous message
Mark Ashworth is currently offline Mark AshworthFriend
Good day Andre,

Thank you for the guidance, it is really beneficial.

Kind regards,
Mark Ashworth
Previous Topic:Form validation in Contacts Application
Next Topic:Reporting exceptions on the client ui
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:15:33 GMT 2024