Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » New install: .p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied)
New install: .p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied) [message #1817987] Tue, 03 December 2019 23:20 Go to next message
Mike Fettes is currently offline Mike FettesFriend
I've used Eclipse in the past but not on my current Windows installation. When I attempt to install it, I get java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\users\[my id]\.p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied)

I've tried manually creating the .p2 directory and pools.info.temp within in. I made sure they're not flagged as hidden directories either, but still the install fails. I've also tried installing Eclipse as administrator as well as granting full control to the folder to Everyone.

Clicking OK then tells me Java was started but returned exit code=1.

I've verified I have Java 1.8.0_231 which was installed via jdk-8u231-windows-x64.

This is a Windows 10 Pro x64 system and is my home PC.
Re: New install: .p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied) [message #1818002 is a reply to message #1817987] Wed, 04 December 2019 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Unfortunately Windows virus scanners cause various problems. See this for example:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=548443

Not only does virus scanning cause performance problems, but it also causes spurious failures. Specifically what happens is that when a file is created, Windows scans it, locking the file during that scanning process. If the file is moved (renamed) during that processing, one gets an access denied exception, which is kind of misleading because the user has full access rights to the file.

So for both performance reasons and for preventing these types of spurious problems, it's best to exclude <home>/.p2 and <home>/.eclipse from the being scanned.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: New install: .p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied) [message #1818060 is a reply to message #1818002] Wed, 04 December 2019 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running Avast antivirus. Even with it temporarily disabled and adding an exception, the installation still fails with the same error.
Re: New install: .p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied) [message #1818062 is a reply to message #1818060] Thu, 05 December 2019 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I couldn't get the installer to run, I downloaded eclipse-javascript-2019-09-R-win32-x86_64.zip and am able to run it.
Re: New install: .p2\pools.info.temp (Access is denied) [message #1818063 is a reply to message #1818062] Thu, 05 December 2019 03:00 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
So when running Avast, Window's Defender itself is completely disabled? These same types of problems are likely to come up in the IDE as well, especially when doing an updates at some point in the future.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:I am New Here..!
Next Topic:Papyrus download
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:37:00 GMT 2024