Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Update 2019-03 to 2019-09 safely (Update )  () 1 Vote
Update 2019-03 to 2019-09 safely [message #1817663] Wed, 27 November 2019 15:55 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
I have reinstalled 2019-03 apparently using Eclipse Installer I downloaded long time ago.
I am experiencing "old issue " when Build Project does not "take".
I have to "refresh" "close project" "open project" before I can actually execute changes in code.
This is very annoying since it wipes out / clears from desktop all currently opened files.

I like to try to update to 2019-09 where I think this "refresh" issue was fixed.

1. Can I select "2019-09" site / source to do that ?
2. Do I have to start over and use latest version of Eclipse installer?

It seem that updating to 2019-09 "creates" the warning that trying to update from "older version of Eclipse" will make the workspace unusable to run 2019-03 again.
Find that "issue" a BIG problem!

I have a large project I cannot afford to loose.

Re: Update 2019-03 to 2019-09 safely [message #1817676 is a reply to message #1817663] Wed, 27 November 2019 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Helen Keller wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 16:55
Can I select "2019-09" site / source to do that ?

I think that theorically it should work, but I have always preferred to start with a fresh install to prevent possible inconsistencies.

Helen Keller wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 16:55
It seem that updating to 2019-09 "creates" the warning that trying to update from "older version of Eclipse" will make the workspace unusable to run 2019-03 again.
Find that "issue" a BIG problem!

Eclipse IDE provides an 'Import Existing Project' feature [1] that allows to, well, import an existing Eclipse project within a new workspace (you can either copy the whole project within the new workspace or just link it) so you won't lose your project even if you create a new workspace.

EDIT: as I usually deal with a multiple installations of Eclipse at once I'm used to put all my projects in a given folder (C:\projects, for instance) and then, when I create a new workspace, I 'shallow import' the ones I want to work on. This way I can create/delete workspaces and install new versions of Eclipse without worrying about my projects.

[1] https://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftasks-importproject.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2019 22:05] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Update 2019-03 to 2019-09 safely [message #1817695 is a reply to message #1817676] Thu, 28 November 2019 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will stay away from comments on "importing projects".

Well, direct "update" from 2019-09 source was a disaster - to put it nicely.
It took forever and the result was - when "Run" from desktop link it NEVER got past "2019-03"splash screen.

I did not bother to find if there are "versions" of Eclipse Installer.
Downloaded Installer (X?) and installed NEW , clean copy of 2019-09 in a fraction of time then "updating".

Still same issue - the ONLY sure fire way to run newly edited code is to "Clean project" and then "Build project" .

There is a way to semi-control this, but I cannot find it.

I wish the "progress" bar at the lower right corner would go away and the old menu / dialogue was back or as an option.
Even such simple thing as resizing the bar so the text woudl fit seems to be a challenge to inmates running Eclipse asylum.

Solution to "refresh" issue. [message #1817821 is a reply to message #1817695] Fri, 29 November 2019 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Still same issue - the ONLY sure fire way to run newly edited code is to "Clean project" and then "Build project" .

After what seems years of frustration found a real solution
Project->Properties->C/C++ build ->Refresh Policy (tab)
Seems to work ONLY when ONE project is active / added / selected.
It has to be done , add new copy and delete the old one, when project is copied in workspace.

Not sure if one wanted to "refresh" project not being worked on currently anyway.

Another "open issue" is - when source is done editing doing "Run as " ->"Run configuration " ->"TCF..." -> "Run" IDE used to pull a dialogue to manually "save changes" before build.
Ever since I optioned that dialog to " always save before build" it DOES NOT SAVE changes.

The hack is to "Save " / "Save all" before "Build project".

Re: Solution to "refresh" issue. [message #1817828 is a reply to message #1817821] Fri, 29 November 2019 19:35 Go to previous message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Helen Keller wrote on Fri, 29 November 2019 18:26
"Still same issue - the ONLY sure fire way to run newly edited code is to "Clean project" and then "Build project" .

After what seems years of frustration found a real solution
Project->Properties->C/C++ build ->Refresh Policy (tab)

Glad you found a workaround! The issue seems more related to CDT than to Eclipse IDE itself; if you're using CDT's latest version you may considering filling a bug so that maintainers can fix it (just check before that the issue has not already been submitted).

Another "open issue" is - when source is done editing doing "Run as " ->"Run configuration " ->"TCF..." -> "Run" IDE used to pull a dialogue to manually "save changes" before build.

This one seems related to the TCF project. You may also consider submitting a bug if it hasn't been yet.

EDIT:

I wish the "progress" bar at the lower right corner would go away and the old menu / dialogue was back or as an option.
Even such simple thing as resizing the bar so the text woudl fit seems to be a challenge to inmates running Eclipse asylum.

Eclipse IDE provides a Progress view that displays all the currently running jobs. You can open it via Window > Show View > Progress.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 November 2019 20:03]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:What are the best ways to get answers with Eclipse use?
Next Topic:Installing WindowBuilder Editor - error in eclipse help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:58:07 GMT 2024