Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » are admin rights required to use the Eclipse software(are admin rights needed)
are admin rights required to use the Eclipse software [message #1817308] Wed, 20 November 2019 10:13 Go to next message
George McIlwaine is currently offline George McIlwaineFriend
I've been asked to install Eclipse on a workplace computer for one of my customers who is doing a degree course. They use Windows 10 64bit and are not allowed to have administrator rights on the computer. So my question is will they need elevated permissions to use this software.
Thanks
George
Re: are admin rights required to use the Eclipse software [message #1817322 is a reply to message #1817308] Wed, 20 November 2019 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
No you don't need admin access to install or run Eclipse. Even the Eclipse Installer installer runs without admin rights and it "installs" by default in the home folder and uses a bundle pool ~/.p2 in the home; both of which you can change to locate them elsewhere. Eclipse's cross installation settings are generally stored under ~/.eclipse. Even if you unzip a packaged download, you generally put that somewhere (perhaps the home folder) where you already have read/write access and do not need admin access.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: are admin rights required to use the Eclipse software [message #1817374 is a reply to message #1817322] Thu, 21 November 2019 11:19 Go to previous message
George McIlwaine is currently offline George McIlwaineFriend
Thank you very much for your quick reply. That is helpful
Previous Topic:Useful BreadCrumb not shown in XML file or other files
Next Topic:Provisioning Exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:06:28 GMT 2024