Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir
how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #336485] Wed, 17 June 2009 08:32 Go to next message
Ben Xu is currently offline Ben XuFriend
I am currently upgrade eclipse from 3.3 to 3.5 for many related tools

p2 is quite different and useless for me.
I JUST WANT the old way,eclipse automatically detect plugins every time.
BUT i never succeed on such little demand for all this week.

Any body know how to force eclipse automatically detect every plugin and
update the bundles.info correctly.

OR the best is don't use the bundles.info file and stupid P2.
Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #336487 is a reply to message #336485] Wed, 17 June 2009 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: aurelien.pupier.esial.net

Ben Xu a écrit :
> I am currently upgrade eclipse from 3.3 to 3.5 for many related tools
>
> p2 is quite different and useless for me. I JUST WANT the old
> way,eclipse automatically detect plugins every time. BUT i never succeed
> on such little demand for all this week.
>
> Any body know how to force eclipse automatically detect every plugin and
> update the bundles.info correctly.
>
> OR the best is don't use the bundles.info file and stupid P2.
>
>
>

Hi,

What do you mean by detect every plugins every time?

They are detected at each start...don't they?

If you want to check for update at each start see :
Window->Preferences->Install/update->Automatic updates
Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #336488 is a reply to message #336487] Wed, 17 June 2009 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it not related to update site.

Automatic update means , for example.

You use links folder in eclipse 3.5 ,there is a abc.link file links to
path "***/ABC"

***/ABC layout like this
eclipse
plugins
com.abc.jar
features
----------------------------
now i changed com.abc.jar to com.bcd.jar . eclipse can not detect the
change .
and bundles.info remains the same. com.bcd.jar can not automatically
update

or i change com.abc.jar to com.abc/ , and change , eclipse can not
automatically detect such change also.

regarding the dropins folder , it also doesn't work well on eclipse 3.5

i reported a bug here
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=279796
still new.
Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #336489 is a reply to message #336488] Wed, 17 June 2009 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
***/ABC layout like this

eclipse
plugins
com.abc.jar
features
Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #336492 is a reply to message #336485] Wed, 17 June 2009 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

p2 is a vast improvement over the old Update Manager, and your childish
outburst says more about you than about p2.

However, I understand your frustration with p2 :-) For similar
behaviour (just unzipping plugins/features and restarting eclipse to see
those features) check out
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Getting_Started#Dropins

PW

--
Paul Webster
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Command_Framework
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Command_Core_Expressions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menu_Contributions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menus_Extension_Mapping
http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclips e.platform.doc.isv/guide/workbench.htm

icon13.gif  Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #488502 is a reply to message #336492] Mon, 28 September 2009 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jörn Guy Süß is currently offline Jörn Guy SüßFriend

Paul,

While I may object to the wording of the previous post, I also find P2 quite unmanageable. I am observing the same behaviour of P2 being unable to detect altered or added plugins within the structure defined by the documentation. The detection behaviour is sporadic and I had to resort to hacking the bundles.info file.

Frameworks are good, but P2 is a major impediment to development. It should have been tested and more importantly, documented, much more thoroughly than it is.

I am a lecturer in software engineering. P2 is next to impossible to explain. If something cannot be explained in simple terms, its design is bad. Ask Bauhaus.

In the end people will not bother putting there implementations in plugins, because the effort of reuse in prohibitative. I know what I am talking about. In my industry work, practicability and learning effort are the MAJOR hurdles to adoption.

Think about it: "Deploy a plugin" process

Before:
Write library
Write plugin
Drop Razz

Now:
Write library
Write plugin Smile
Write feature Confused
Write update site Sad
Drop
Deploy via P2 (if you want it to work) Evil or Very Mad

100% increase on the development cycle steps.
Who came up with this madness? Idea Twisted Evil

JGS

[Updated on: Mon, 28 September 2009 23:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #488645 is a reply to message #488502] Tue, 29 September 2009 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

I concur about the documentation, there definitely needs to be more to explain how to handle the different cycles.

p2 does support at least 3 modes.

Generating features as well as plugins, p2 metadata repositories, and updating the eclipse install (using either the director, installer, or p2 ui) is the most powerful, flexible, and hence far and away the most complicated. It's designed for installing and updating RCP apps, products, as well as the ability to install many artifacts along with a feature that wasn't possible using the old update manager/install handler paradigm. This involves the paradigm you've labeled "now". But when I'm developing, unless my task is Build and deploy I don't do this.

But for development or trying out plugins, there are the other 2 ways of doing it:

1) use dropins ... it's a different location, but allows you to just drop stuff in. I like the added benefit that it supports subdirectories so that I can keep unrelated plugins separate. Plugins can be added with no features, and it even reconciles new or removed plugins on startup without the needs for a -clean

2) if you're developing, you can deploy from eclipse directly into your hosting environment (from File>Export...>Deployable plug-ins and fragments). This is also done with no features involved, and will even correctly patch an SDK feature.

But once again, without documentation how can you guess?

PW

Re: how to force p2 automatically update the bundles.info in **simpleconfigrator dir [message #496144 is a reply to message #488645] Mon, 09 November 2009 04:51 Go to previous message
Gergely Nagy is currently offline Gergely NagyFriend
Hi,

I'm also struggling with upgrading 3.3 to 3.5 of my product just because of P2. Everything else worked fine within the self hosting and my command line build - I really expected more roadblocks. Now I got it:(

We have a fairly simple (stupid?) command line build solution - not using Eclipse to assemble the product, just packaging all bundle jars with their manifests, and dumping them in the target location using an installer.

Before P2, plugins were just simply detected by this line in config.ini:
osgi.bundles=org.eclipse.equinox.common@2:start, org.eclipse.update.configurator@3:start, org.eclipse.core.runtime@start

Now, this is replaced by the simpleconfigurator - which must be the simplest (stupid?) thing in P2: it works on a fixed list of bundles.
Instead, I'd just like to say 'pick all bundles from the plugin folder' - and don't be forced to rework my build system just to please P2.

While the drop-in folder looks nice from the end-user-perspective (yes, nicer than the old way of mixing all plugins together) - as a developer I don't want to ship stuff there just to get the automatic detection.

About docs: the situation might better nowadays. But Getting Started says
Quote:
Although p2 will detect plug-ins added directly to the plugins folder (with an associated startup performance cost),

then it also says:
Quote:
bundles.info contains a list of all the plug-ins ... Any extra plug-ins in the plugins directory or elsewhere are ignored

Which one is true then?
Is there a way to turn on autodetection? Maybe setting the plugins dir as a 'watched directory' ?
Thanks in advance,Gergo
Previous Topic:change .metadata location
Next Topic:Eclipse Development on Windows 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:56:27 GMT 2024