Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem in connecting with Java(When I try to start Eclipse I get a message saying that jdk-12.0.2\bin must be available)
Problem in connecting with Java [message #1816470] Tue, 29 October 2019 18:44 Go to next message
Gerry Wolff is currently offline Gerry WolffFriend
When I try to start up Eclipse (which appears to be the latest version "Cpp 2019-09"), I get the following message:

"A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.2\bin"

I believe that I have the latest version of the JDK installed (jdk1.8.0-231).

I can't get beyond this message. How can this problem be fixed?

With thanks.

Re: Problem in connecting with Java [message #1816483 is a reply to message #1816470] Wed, 30 October 2019 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Did you install it with the installer? Does that 12.0.1 version of Java exist in your file system? Where on the file system does the 1.8.0-231 version exist? Does your eclipse.ini contain lines like this:
-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_72\jre\bin
You can use this to "choose" which version of Java to use, or remove it so it finds whatever is on the PATH (or specified in JAVA_HOME).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problem in connecting with Java [message #1816507 is a reply to message #1816483] Wed, 30 October 2019 10:01 Go to previous message
Gerry Wolff is currently offline Gerry WolffFriend
JGW: Thanks for your questions and suggestion. Here are my answers and the result -- success! Many thanks.

Did you install it with the installer? JGW: yes

Does that 12.0.1 version of Java exist in your file system? JGW: It is not under "C:\Program Files\Java" and I don't see anywhere else that it could be.

Where on the file system does the 1.8.0-231 version exist? JGW: There are many files under "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_231\bin" which I assume are the files for version 1.8.0-231.

Does your eclipse.ini contain lines like this:

-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_72\jre\bin JGW: No, it has:

"-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.2\bin"

You can use this to "choose" which version of Java to use, or remove it so it finds whatever is on the PATH (or specified in JAVA_HOME).

JGW: It looks as if things have been set up for a Unix OS. I guess the eclipse.ini file is provided for command-line options under Windows 10.

I've removed

"-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-12.0.2\bin"

and this seems to have solve the problem. Many thanks!
Previous Topic:The package xxx is not accessible
Next Topic:Eclipse RCP 4.11 and Open JDK 11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:06:58 GMT 2024