Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Custom EMF Model Importer / Exporter Tutorial?(How do I create an Eclipse Plugin (or Plugins) which allow me to add a new GenModel Importer?)
Custom EMF Model Importer / Exporter Tutorial? [message #1816035] Thu, 17 October 2019 18:27 Go to next message
Michael Pigott is currently offline Michael PigottFriend
Hello,
In a similar vein to the XSD ECore model importer & exporter, I'm interested in creating an ECore model importer & exporter based on RDF / OWL models. I've been combing through the different ModelImporter and ModelExporter code, and while I'm starting to understand what needs to be done, I feel like I'm missing the "big picture" about how all of the difference pieces fit together.
(Example: what's the difference between the XSD ModelImporter & XSDModelExporter vs. the xsd2ecore mappings in a different plugin?)
Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding any documentation from someone who has done this before. I own the Eclipse Modeling Framework book, but it doesn't seem to offer much in this area. I also found the IBM tutorial on how to dynamically create Ecore models, but I was hoping to build something I can integrate back into Eclipse.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Custom EMF Model Importer / Exporter Tutorial? [message #1816174 is a reply to message #1816035] Wed, 23 October 2019 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure if you've already done so, it it's probably a good idea to set up an environment with all the sources for EMF and XSD. There are instructions here:

https://ci.eclipse.org/emf/

Whenever I explore code, I try to do so "dynamically", i.e., I set breaks in what look to be interesting things, and I see when those things are created and when the various methods on them are called. Then it's much easier to understand the relationships between the parts because you can see actual instances of them in action and can inspect the state of those instances.

With regard to xsd2ecore mappings. that file is just for "information purposes". It's produced as a side effect and is generally kind of a useless artifact except if you want to see visually how one part of the *.xsd maps to a corresponding part in the *.ecore.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Custom EMF Model Importer / Exporter Tutorial? [message #1816198 is a reply to message #1816174] Wed, 23 October 2019 13:26 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I'm not sure whether this is relevant to your requirements ...

In Jan 2017, I had a private correspondence with Steven Wartik in regards to the UML-to-OWL and OWL-to-UML QVTr transformations for the Ontology Definition Metamodel. This involved *.qvtr and *.ecore files, so models that you require may already be available from OMG, else you might approach Steven Wartik for preliminary versions.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic: Problem occured while invoking director
Next Topic:genmodel problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:12:13 GMT 2024