Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Edapt] ClassCastException when migrating models with InstanceClassName-attributes
[Edapt] ClassCastException when migrating models with InstanceClassName-attributes [message #1814797] Wed, 18 September 2019 13:46 Go to next message
Daniel Dyk is currently offline Daniel DykFriend
We use Edapt 1.3.0 for our EMF-model-migration. Some of the EClasses are using the instanceClassName-attribute to implement non-EMF java interfaces.

On Migration, we run into a ClassCastException in EStructuralFeatureImpl::dynamicSet. As Edapt is creating DynamicEObjects, EClassifierImpl::isInstance does return false as can be seen in the following snippet taken from the source of EClassifierImpl:
  public boolean isInstance(Object object)
  {
    if (object != null)
    {
      Class<?> instanceClass = getInstanceClass();
      if (instanceClass != null)
      {
        if (instanceClass.isPrimitive())
        {
        }
        else
        {
          return instanceClass.isInstance(object); // as object is a DynamicEObject,  this will (wrongly) return false
        }
      }
      else if (object instanceof EObject)
      {
        return dynamicIsInstance((EObject)object);
      }
    }
    return false;
  }

I can circumnavigate this issue by registering a custom implementation of EFactory with the extension "org.eclipse.emf.edapt.factories" that is setting the instance class simply to null, but altering the model like this seems a bit "smelly". As I understand this class is only creating classes by the dynamic ecore-model created by edapt where instance classes can be ignored down the line.

public class EdaptMigrationFactory extends EFactoryImpl {
  @Override
  public EObject create(EClass eClass) {
    if (eClass.getInstanceClass() != java.util.Map.Entry.class) // EMF's map entries are correctly handled
      eClass.setInstanceClass(null);
    return super.create(eClass);
  }

Is there a (quick) fix that you would rather suggest? Of course, the best would be if Edapt does not set the InstanceClasses at all.
Re: [Edapt] ClassCastException when migrating models with InstanceClassName-attributes [message #1815023 is a reply to message #1814797] Tue, 24 September 2019 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas HelmingFriend
Hi,

thank you for your question, due to vacation season, we will reply earliest next week.

Best regards,
Jonas

--
Jonas Helming
Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: [Edapt] ClassCastException when migrating models with InstanceClassName-attributes [message #1815670 is a reply to message #1814797] Tue, 08 October 2019 08:43 Go to previous message
Johannes Faltermeier is currently offline Johannes FaltermeierFriend

Hi,

I think there is no way to avoid a custom EFactory here when working with Dynamic EMF. However I think you could structure your Ecore a bit differently to avoid this issue.

If I understood your use case correctly you want to implement a custom Java interface for some EClasses.
I would suggest to create an empty EClass for this interface, set interface to true, but don't add an instance type name in the ecore.
Add this new EClass as a supertype for the appropriate EClasses and generate the code.
Go to the generated Java interface you just created and add an extends for your actual Java interface in the code. Change @generated to @generated NOT.
As this interface EClass is empty and should stay empty in the model, there is no harm switching to @generated NOT, as this should not change in the future. Regenerating will not remove this extends.

This should help to avoid those issues with dynamic EMF.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, Johannes

Johannes Faltermeier

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:[EMF Forms] Showing reference value from another EObject in a Table Control
Next Topic:[EMF Forms] Enum Dropdown: Value not set on keyboard input if Enter is not pressed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:29:34 GMT 2024