Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException(Getting NullPointerException when I try to clone a repo)
Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException [message #1814263] Sat, 07 September 2019 00:15 Go to next message
David A is currently offline David AFriend
I am getting an error trying to clone a GitHub repo. I generated an RSA key in Eclipse and added it to my private keys in Eclipse. I entered the public key in GitHub.

I go to my GitHub project's web page and click the clone icon and copy the URL for the SSH protocol.

Back in eclipse, I click on "Clone a Git Repository" and the URL from my clipboard is in there. I accept the defaults and click Next. After a moment, it shows the branches (development and master), so I'm assuming I have successfully connected to my GitHub and have signs of life, right?

I leave both branches checked (the default) and click Next. I choose a directory and otherwise accept the defaults, and click Finish. I immediately get a popup dialog saying 'Cloning from git@{URL}:{organization}/{project}.git' has encountered a problem. java.lang.NullPointerException.

The details only say "java.lang.NullPointerException"

Any idea how to solve this?

Further info:
-- Windows 10
-- Eclipse is eclipse-java-2019-06-R-win32-x86_64, downloaded just today.
-- We are running a GitHub enterprise server. I connected to it fine from an old laptop, but a new one is giving me fits.
-- I do not have a problem cloning with git clone at the Git Bash command line using the same SSH key.
-- When I try "Add an existing local Git repository" with the repo I cloned, I walk through the wizard and nothing happens. No errors, repo list still empty.
Re: Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException [message #1814394 is a reply to message #1814263] Tue, 10 September 2019 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
David A wrote on Sat, 07 September 2019 00:15
After a moment, it shows the branches (development and master), so I'm assuming I have successfully connected to my GitHub and have signs of life, right?

Right.
Quote:
I immediately get a popup dialog saying 'Cloning from git@{URL}:{organization}/{project}.git' has encountered a problem. java.lang.NullPointerException.

Anything in the Eclipse log (in your workspace, under .metadata)?
Quote:
Any idea how to solve this?

Absent more information, not really. Only suggestion: install the newest EGit nightly. Maybe that might help.
Re: Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException [message #1816386 is a reply to message #1814263] Mon, 28 October 2019 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good old Windows. I tried rebooting during troubleshooting this process, but that didn't solve my problem. I had a Windows update shortly after posting this, I rebooted, and suddenly this problem went away and hasn't come back. Very strange...
Re: Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException [message #1816387 is a reply to message #1814263] Mon, 28 October 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After posting this, I set it aside for a few days. In the meantime, I had installed some Windows updates and rebooted. When I picked it back up, the error was no longer occurring and I haven't seen it since.
Re: Clone Git repo produces NullPointerException [message #1816677 is a reply to message #1816387] Mon, 04 November 2019 19:11 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Check the Eclipse error log, if there was an NPE it should contain the respective stack trace pointing at the root cause
Previous Topic:JGit: HTTPS links over a proxy that requires authentication
Next Topic:Please verify my first "commit" - is it in my local repository ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:18:17 GMT 2024