Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Improved OPC UA support for 4diac
Improved OPC UA support for 4diac [message #1814132] Wed, 04 September 2019 13:57 Go to next message
Jose Maria Jesus Cabral Lassalle is currently offline Jose Maria Jesus Cabral LassalleFriend
After some months of working, the improved OPC UA module for 4diac is now finally merged in the developed branch.

Why change the OPC UA Module?

After working with OPC UA and real cases with different companies using different OPC UA stacks, we realized that the OPC UA module in FORTE wasn't reliable and often crashed, and wasn't easy to extend. Also, we noticed that other companies had the same problem. So we decided to make a deep clean-up of the OPC UA module and add the capabilities we found were needed.

So... what's new?

The changes were done in the FORTE code, and the main things include:

• Client and server are completely separated. Using just clients capabilities won't start the server.
  • When using the client, if the connection is lost, FORTE will reconnect.
  • You can now look for nodes in remote server using not only the browsename, but also the Node ID.
  • You can set a desired Node ID (and name) for the variables you create in your local server. (Numeric, String and Bytestring).
  • You can easily integrate your own nodesets to FORTE's compilation.
  • You can easily add your own types.
  • Support of v0.3.0 and v1.0 versions of open62541.

But, how good is it actually?

• Before, each Function Block has its own thread. Now, not anymore, meaning a great improvement in performance.
  • 9 bugs were closed.
  • 9 4diac applications were developed that execute more than 1300 test on FORTE's code.
  • More than 80% coverage.
  • A CI (continuous integration) was set to execute all tests on each commit, using both branch versions of open62541.
  • 0 compilation warnings / 0 cppcheck warnings nor errors.

I like it already, how do I use it?

You need to use the develop branch of FORTE. The usage has changed a little, but the documentation is already up online. The main changes are which Function Blocks are used for different OPC UA capabilites and how does the ID looks like.

So, please use it, test it and open bugs for it. And of course, if you want to contribute to it, please do it by pushing your changes to FORTE's branch "feature/MO44GA" which will trigger the CI.
Re: Improved OPC UA support for 4diac [message #1814445 is a reply to message #1814132] Wed, 11 September 2019 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy woo is currently offline joy wooFriend
As I follow the instruction of https://www.eclipse.org/4diac/en_help.php?helppage=html/communication/opc_ua_version1.html
under windows, but with a lot of errors,such as :
d:\windows kits\10\include\10.0.17134.0\um\winsock2.h(1074): error C2065: "IN": undeclared identifier ( D:\dev\industry\project\4diac\forte\build\modules\opc_ua\opcua_nodesets.cpp)

[Updated on: Wed, 11 September 2019 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Improved OPC UA support for 4diac [message #1814517 is a reply to message #1814445] Thu, 12 September 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jose Maria Jesus Cabral Lassalle is currently offline Jose Maria Jesus Cabral LassalleFriend
that's a recurring error that keeps popping up. May I ask which compiler are you using and which modules have you enabled for compilation?
Re: Improved OPC UA support for 4diac [message #1814544 is a reply to message #1814517] Fri, 13 September 2019 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy woo is currently offline joy wooFriend
vs2017 , windows, here is the cmake configuration
Re: Improved OPC UA support for 4diac [message #1814746 is a reply to message #1814544] Tue, 17 September 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried your configuration and also have the same problem. The only recommendation I can give you now is to use mingw64 as a compiler. I don't have any issues with it. I'll open a bug for this problem, because it keeps appearing
Re: Improved OPC UA support for 4diac [message #1816650 is a reply to message #1814746] Mon, 04 November 2019 08:15 Go to previous message
NEW FEATURE:

From the latest commit in develop on, 4diac FORTE now can connect to secure servers.

Check the documentation https://www.eclipse.org/4diac/en_help.php?helppage=html/communication/opc_ua_version1.html#securityClients to allow your 4diac applications to connect to OPC UA servers with some type of security. Try, test and play with it, and of course, don't forget to report issues, and why not, give some good feedback if it works.

Previous Topic:Experiments with Raspberry Pi 3B+ #1
Next Topic:Cross compiled binary doesn't work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:31:15 GMT 2024