Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse won't install - JRE detection failure (Windows)(Unable to install Eclipse, because the Eclipse Installer generates a JRE-related error message and refuses to continue)
Eclipse won't install - JRE detection failure (Windows) [message #1810879] Wed, 21 August 2019 09:12 Go to next message
Bart Hofland is currently offline Bart HoflandFriend
I just downloaded the most recent version of the Eclipse Installer (https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/epp/2019-06/R/eclipse-inst-win64.exe) from your website.

Prior to that, I installed an (unofficial) OpenJDK build (https://github.com/ojdkbuild/ojdkbuild/releases/download/java-12-openjdk-12.0.2.9-1/java-12-openjdk-12.0.2.9-1.windows.ojdkbuild.x86_64.msi).
After installation, the command "java -version" generates the following output:
openjdk version "12.0.2-ojdkbuild" 2019-07-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 19.3 (build 12.0.2-ojdkbuild+9)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 19.3 (build 12.0.2-ojdkbuild+9, mixed mode, sharing)

(Note: the "-d64" switch does not seem to be supported by my JRE.

Immediately after attempting to run the Eclipse Installer, I get the following messagebox:
---------------------------
Eclipse Installer
A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) must be available in order to run Eclipse Installer. No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations: C:\Program Files\ojdkbuild\java-12-openjdk-12.0.2-1" --\bin
OK   

The JRE folder displayed in this message seems to be incorrect. What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to explicitly specify the correct JRE folder for the installer?

Operating system: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.295]

(Note: I do not even want to consider using a Java SE runtime environment from Oracle.)

Thank You very much in advance.
Re: Eclipse won't install - JRE detection failure (Windows) [message #1810899 is a reply to message #1810879] Wed, 21 August 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You could try the -vm argument, i.e., this run the installer with this specific VM on my machine
./eclipse-inst.exe -vm C:\\Program\ Files\\Java\\jdk1.8.0_121\\bin 
. Here I've used a bash shell, hence the double \\ but you get the idea...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse won't install - JRE detection failure (Windows) [message #1810903 is a reply to message #1810899] Wed, 21 August 2019 14:04 Go to previous message
Bart Hofland is currently offline Bart HoflandFriend
Hi Ed. Thanks for the response. Nice tip about the -vm installer option. I will keep it in mind.

However, I didn't need to use that option, because shortly after posting my message, I had been able to continue my installation. It seemed, that when I clicked the downloaded installer from within my browser's (Firefox) recent downloads, I got that strange error. But if I executed the installer by double clicking it in an Explorer window, it worked just fine. (I use a 64-bit Firefox version as well, so that should not be the issue. Very strange...)

Anyway, I am able now to dive into Eclipse. Thanks again. :)

[Updated on: Wed, 21 August 2019 14:05]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:MQTT test broker name change
Next Topic:User Specified Entries in XML Catalog Are Ignored
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:01:09 GMT 2024