Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » What is a function of "Build targets"?
What is a function of "Build targets"? [message #1808869] Wed, 03 July 2019 14:57 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
I have an item "Build targets" in "Project explorer " pane.
I was looking in "Eclipse help " for SIMPLE explanation what it is / does and how it got subitem "TSET" attached in the tree.

Found nothing explaining what is the purpose of "building targets" in C++.
Re: What is a function of "Build targets"? [message #1808870 is a reply to message #1808869] Wed, 03 July 2019 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
It allows you to execute targets within a makefile.
Not much use for Managed Build projects where the only
two targets, all and clean, are accessible from the menus.
If you write your own makefile with multiple targets, it can be a big help.
Re: What is a function of "Build targets"? [message #1808875 is a reply to message #1808870] Wed, 03 July 2019 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
Thanks
I am not using Managed C++ , just started with plain C++ project and letting the IDE / make to do its job.
Re: What is a function of "Build targets"? [message #1847469 is a reply to message #1808875] Thu, 28 October 2021 10:19 Go to previous message
John McCabe is currently offline John McCabeFriend
Helen Keller wrote on Wed, 03 July 2019 12:39
Thanks
I am not using Managed C++ , just started with plain C++ project and letting the IDE / make to do its job.

I know this response is a little late, but are you confusing "Managed C++", the Microsoft C++/CLI stuff, with a "Managed Build" which, in Eclipse, is where you let Eclipse work out what files need to be given to make? This is where you select "File" -> "New C/C++ Project" and choose the "C++ Managed Build" option in the dialog that becomes visible.

The alternative referred to by David is the "Makefile Project" in that dialog box, where you manage your own build targets.
Previous Topic:generate virtual eclipse folder from makefile...
Next Topic:Unresolved inclusion of 'iostream' in a new CMake Hello World project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:23:59 GMT 2024