Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Help please, getting started Eclipse with Java JDK(installations on windows 10 and Mojave not working. Want to make a new start....)
Help please, getting started Eclipse with Java JDK [message #1807937] Wed, 12 June 2019 21:39 Go to next message
Mark Piekos is currently offline Mark PiekosFriend
Hi everyone, I'm having a horrible time trying get a working setup on either windows 10 or Macbook Pro running Mohave.

The situation is complicated a little by the fact that I'm living in a temporary house and working with a Macbook pro with Windows 10 installed on a bootcamp partition. The windows 10 will not connect to my mobile phone hotspot so I have to download everything and move it to the windows environment via a usb stick.

I started by downloading the latest versions of both Java and Eclipse and installed the OS specific versions of each on both os's. I was getting error messages when I ran sample programs via Eclipse and it turned out that there was an issue with the latest Eclipse working with Java JDK12. The patch also didn't work. I then tried to install progressively older versions of JDK, all the way down to JDK 8 on each os. This seems to have made things worse...

What I'd like to try is removing all the existing installations and starting again.

I'd be very grateful for advice regarding how to remove the several Java JDK's and installed Eclipse from both os's so I can start afresh.

Please can anyone recommend a version of Eclipse and a version of JDK that will work well together?

Would you recommend focussing on windows 10 or Mojave (is one easier to get working)?

My initial objective is to get Eclipse and a suitable Java JDK installed and work through enough tutorials from the Eclipse guide to be in a position to work through 'Java, a beginner's guide' seventh edition by Herbert Schildt. I know his book is geared to learning Java without using an IDE but I would rather work with an IDE from day one.

Also, can anyone recommend a good (current) book on Eclipse? Everything on Amazon seems well out of date. I generally find a well written book is a big help and usually gets important points over better than the official guides...

Many thanks in advance for your help. I am getting a bit desperate....
Re: Help please, getting started Eclipse with Java JDK [message #1807972 is a reply to message #1807937] Thu, 13 June 2019 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Generally Java 8 will work well with any version of Eclipse.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Help please, getting started Eclipse with Java JDK [message #1807994 is a reply to message #1807972] Thu, 13 June 2019 20:44 Go to previous message
Mark Piekos is currently offline Mark PiekosFriend
Thanks for the advice.

I'll give that a try.
Previous Topic:Hiding SVN Repository Exploring Perspective
Next Topic:Eclipse hangs in Virtual Box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:03:17 GMT 2024