Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Dealing with spaces in file paths when building(Error of "No such file or directory")
Dealing with spaces in file paths when building [message #1807721] Thu, 06 June 2019 16:15 Go to next message
Greg Roe is currently offline Greg RoeFriend
index.php/fa/35707/0/I am trying to run the PWM sample code in C with eclipse and when I am building the project I run into the error of "No such file or directory" when the program should be looking for c:/Users/Preferred Customer/Desktop/C_Support_for_myRIO_v6.0/C Support for myRIO/source.

Instead the program spits out these errors:

arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc -DMyRio_1900 "-Ic:/Users/Preferred Customer/Desktop/C_Support_for_myRIO_v6.0/C Support for myRIO/source" "-IC:\\Users\\Preferred Customer\\Desktop\\C_Support_for_myRIO_v6.0\\C Support for myRIO\\source" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=softfp "--sysroot=C:\\Users\\Preferred" "Customer\\Desktop\\C_Support_for_myRIO_v6.0\\C" Support for "myRIO\\source" -o main.o "..\\main.c"
arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error: Customer\Desktop\C_Support_for_myRIO_v6.0\C: No such file or directory
arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error: Support: No such file or directory
arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error: for: No such file or directory
arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error: myRIO\source: No such file or directory

It appears that it is splitting up that file location based on the spaces. I have attempted to add quotes around the file path but that has not worked. I am working on windows 10 professional. Any ideas?
Re: Dealing with spaces in file paths when building [message #1807733 is a reply to message #1807721] Fri, 07 June 2019 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You mention adding quotes but it's not clear (to me) where you are entering this information. You might try using "\ " if the place where you are entering this you are entering \\ for the directory separators.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Dealing with spaces in file paths when building [message #1807757 is a reply to message #1807733] Fri, 07 June 2019 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg Roe is currently offline Greg RoeFriend
I have tried adding quotes and escaping the space with a / in the user environmental variables. I have also tried both the quotes and escaping the space with / in the Eclipse software by right clicking on the project -> properties -> c/C++ build -> environment. Additionally, I am using a single "\" when i am entering the paths for the directory separators.
Re: Dealing with spaces in file paths when building [message #1807769 is a reply to message #1807757] Sat, 08 June 2019 05:29 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I see, so how these strings are "interpreted" depends on where they variables are used. It's probably best to you ask on the CDT forum:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.tools.cdt

Though of course your best bet would be to avoid the problem entirely, but that's challenging when your home folder name has a space in it.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Stream.map(...).reduce() as string joiner: error "left-hand side"
Next Topic:Change default save location to students' network folders
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:50:30 GMT 2024