Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing?
Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1807164] Fri, 24 May 2019 00:55 Go to next message
David Song is currently offline David SongFriend
Hi,

Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? I have seen that recent versions have not added new features and features?

Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1807191 is a reply to message #1807164] Fri, 24 May 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Hi,
Eclipse RAP is still under development and maintenance. We are fixing reported bugs all the time. As RAP has been developed for more than 12 years, it's now stable and it has everything needed to develop workbench based (e3/e4) or standalone application. New features will be added on request.
Best regards,
Ivan
Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1807526 is a reply to message #1807191] Fri, 31 May 2019 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Mising name is currently offline Nick Mising nameFriend
Hi Ivan, any chance to implement the Clipboard? Thanks!
Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1807548 is a reply to message #1807526] Mon, 03 June 2019 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Hi,
the Clipboard topic has been discussed many times over the years. As RAP is client-server framework, it's not clear what clipboard do you need. Set/Get something on the client (browser), or do it on the server. On the client we have the browser restrictions (sanbox), which prevents some clipboard operations from JavaScript. Unfortunately, we still have no clear vision how this feature should work in RAP and if it's possible to implement it at all in a browser independent way. Feel free to add suggestions to the bug [1].

[1] 360790: Add Clipboard Support to RAP
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=360790

Best regards,
Ivan
Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1807579 is a reply to message #1807164] Tue, 04 June 2019 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Habenicht is currently offline Sebastian HabenichtFriend
Another cool new feature would be multi cell selection support for the nebula grid, as requested here [1].

Regards,
Sebastian

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=494517
Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1808394 is a reply to message #1807579] Sun, 23 June 2019 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linuxhippy Mising name is currently offline Linuxhippy Mising nameFriend
Quote:
Another cool new feature would be multi cell selection support for the nebula grid, as requested here

Sebastian: sorry, but i can'tr resist. instead of waiting 3 years for a feature and hijacking threads in the forum, I would suggest the following options:
* clone the git repo and start hacking. except for the osgi/eclipse stuff, RAP's source is not rocket sience and after a short period of getting used to, implementing new features and fixing bugs is quite doable.
* pay eclipsesource to implement the feature you desire. now that investment into RAP seems to have been slowed down, I guess this would be highly benefitial for RAP's continued maintenance.

br
Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1808432 is a reply to message #1807548] Mon, 24 June 2019 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Dukhov is currently offline Dmitry DukhovFriend
Ivan, add run "copy to clipboard" script on client side is not so hard
Yes, possible it does not work everywhere but chrome is support this function exactly

Ivan Furnadjiev wrote on Mon, 03 June 2019 03:27
Hi,
the Clipboard topic has been discussed many times over the years. As RAP is client-server framework, it's not clear what clipboard do you need. Set/Get something on the client (browser), or do it on the server. On the client we have the browser restrictions (sanbox), which prevents some clipboard operations from JavaScript. Unfortunately, we still have no clear vision how this feature should work in RAP and if it's possible to implement it at all in a browser independent way. Feel free to add suggestions to the bug [1].

[1] 360790: Add Clipboard Support to RAP
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=360790

Best regards,
Ivan

Re: Has Eclipse RAP stopped developing? [message #1809240 is a reply to message #1807164] Fri, 12 July 2019 08:51 Go to previous message
Michael Fritscher is currently offline Michael FritscherFriend
Thanks for the clarification that RAP is still developed! I use it since 8 years (RAP 1.3/1.4 or something like that) ;)

3 features would be very cool and helpful in my eyes:

* Having a SWT compatible rich edit control. http://git.eclipse.org/c/rap/incubator/org.eclipse.rap.incubator.richtext.git (which has been graduated to RAP 3.1) could be a start.
* Graduating the draw2d or at least the draw2d.compatibility parts of http://git.eclipse.org/c/rap/incubator/org.eclipse.rap.incubator.gef.git . Most things are already working - even Nebula is satisfied! ( https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1074244&goto=1721558 ) I've written some suggestions too this task at https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=627999&goto=1716408&#msg_1716408 some time ago.
* Support for multiple browser windows (So new SWT windows/shells can be in new browser windows, but in the same session)

There is a chance that I can help in part of these tasks, but I can't lead them or do bigger architectural decisions because of lack of knowledge of the inner workings or "thinking plans" of SWT or RAP. But if there is master plan I think I could help a bit ;)

Additionally, I know that at least of the draw2d task there is a bit of non confidence of the way it is working (I think much of it being "too much being painting on the server side -> too bandwidth needed") But I think this could be solved by having the concept of dirty regions and painting the tiles on a html5 canvas without fiddling with too much code.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 July 2019 08:52]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:RAP compatible for the older version
Next Topic:Displaying AWT images
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:49:30 GMT 2024