Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Configuring my IDE to work on Linux(Mostly working just would like to know some stuff)
Configuring my IDE to work on Linux [message #1806698] Tue, 14 May 2019 07:23 Go to next message
Jonathan Reznik is currently offline Jonathan ReznikFriend
I am going to try and keep this short.

I run a linux distro MXLinux where I currently have 2 side by side installations (of Eclipse) including the one from package manager, and 1 installed from source using the eclipse-installer, tarball, x86_64 build. I think while installing this newer build it broke the older installation, which I don't really care much about.

What I want is to fix some issues with the new installation, which is overall working pretty well, and I like it. The quirkiness going on...with user profiles is that files in the /root folder are being used and I would like to avoid that. Also I can't install plugins with a regular user, and have to end up exiting and relaunching as root (which launching as root is something I want to avoid).

When I first installed via the eclipse-installer script I recall having some issues that caused me to have to reinstall in first place.

But now in terms of the permissions issue for install, and the files in /root is there anything that can be done to make it all accessible via a regular user.

Please help!
Re: Configuring my IDE to work on Linux [message #1806720 is a reply to message #1806698] Tue, 14 May 2019 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The installer by default is more geared toward each user creating their own installation in their own writable directories, and by default it uses a shared bundle pool that by default is in the home folder. All of this can be changed (e.g., the pool location and whether to use a shared pool all can be controlled from the menu.

The installer can also be used to create a shared read-only installation, but you need to be much more aware of what you are doing. In particular, you must consider where to put the shared bundle pool because it will end up in the home folder of whomever is installing it. For end-users to use a shared installation the installation must be read-only to those uses and the bundle pool, if you use one, must also be read-only. When that's all the case, the user will be able to install extensions via the surrogate profile that's created in their ~/.eclipse folder.

For the simplest case of a shared read-only installation, you may wish to download a package an untar it somewhere.

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Configuring my IDE to work on Linux [message #1806844 is a reply to message #1806720] Thu, 16 May 2019 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am doing okay now just running it as non-root user, but I would like to get those files moved so if I understand what your saying correctly that means somewhere in eclipse (where exactly?) I should be able to pull it up and alter the location of all those pooled files in p2 folder?

As for the other thing (the option for switching users) I thought that my post stated that I did build from source, which means that I already had to download the package at some point from the link that was provided. Anyway, I am not concerned with any special configuration that would allow a read-only user or anything like that. Just plain and simple would like to not have to use root or root folder for any part of the app so that no accidental damage occurs as a result!

My hunch is maybe if I could move this pool or bundle and have the folder in my home folder instead that it would solve my problem. So how exactly do I do that?

Edit: Put yet another way could it do any harm to make sure that the entire tree of folders under opt/eclipse where the package is currently installed has ownership and permissions set to the default system user or will that not make any bit of difference to the errors I am getting.

Here is an example of the type of errors my Eclipse is constantly displaying (literally thousands of them in the log):
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/eclipse-java-2019-03/eclipse/configuration/com.genuitec.eclipse.monitor/metrics-201905--799877547.properties (Permission denied)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:298)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:237)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:187)
	at com.genuitec.eclipse.monitor.internal.collector.client.ClientMetricsCollector.saveToFile(ClientMetricsCollector.java:151)
	at com.genuitec.eclipse.monitor.internal.collector.client.ClientMetricsCollector$PeriodicalSaveJob.run(ClientMetricsCollector.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2019 07:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Configuring my IDE to work on Linux [message #1806847 is a reply to message #1806844] Thu, 16 May 2019 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've gone ahead and repeated installation this time choosing the location for a pool that was different (I placed it into my Developer folder in my /home/username directory. I hope that won't conflict but seems like a better place for it than in root, which I don't understand how come that was chosen in the first place.

The installation was tricky, but it seemed to go fine.

When I fired up the new IDE, here's some little log errors I'm getting now, could someone please help me to understand? I know from working with operating systems in general it is often unrealistic to assume that no error messages will be logged, but with this particular feature is this something to be concerned about?

!ENTRY org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.core 4 0 2019-05-16 01:56:02.920
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.core [265]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc; bundle-version="[3.8.0,4.0.0)"
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc; bundle-version="3.24.2.v20180904-2231"; singleton:="true"
       org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc [282]
         Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.apache.xmlrpc; bundle-version="[3.0.0,4.0.0)"
           -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.xmlrpc; bundle-version="3.0.0.v20100427-1100"
              org.apache.xmlrpc [54]
                Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: javax.xml.bind
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.apache.xmlrpc
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.xmlrpc; bundle-version="3.0.0.v20100427-1100"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:452)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1784)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1763)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1726)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1657)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:343)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.ui 4 0 2019-05-16 01:56:02.923
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.ui [267]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.core; bundle-version="[3.8.0,4.0.0)"
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.core; bundle-version="3.24.2.v20180905-0003"; singleton:="true"
       org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.core [265]
         Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc; bundle-version="[3.8.0,4.0.0)"
           -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc; bundle-version="3.24.2.v20180904-2231"; singleton:="true"
              org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc [282]
                Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.apache.xmlrpc; bundle-version="[3.0.0,4.0.0)"
                     org.apache.xmlrpc [54]
         Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.apache.xmlrpc

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1784)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1763)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1726)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1657)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:343)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc 4 0 2019-05-16 01:56:02.924
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.xmlrpc [282]
       org.apache.xmlrpc [54]

!ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.core 1 0 2019-05-16 01:56:42.460
!MESSAGE Using Apache MINA sshd as ssh client.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.core 4 0 2019-05-16 01:56:46.548
!MESSAGE Unexpected error while loading repository template extensions
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.core 4 0 2019-05-16 01:56:46.548
!MESSAGE Could not load repository template extension contributed by 'org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.ide' with connectorKind 'bugzilla'
Re: Configuring my IDE to work on Linux SOLVED [message #1806851 is a reply to message #1806847] Thu, 16 May 2019 09:21 Go to previous message
I was able to look up the stack trace in the error log, and find a fix online involving downloading some files to place into the dropfiles folder in the installation directory.
Amazing that web works to make all the potential answers available.
I know that others might be experiencing problems, but rather than to spam more links or info, if someone wants to know the solution to this they should be able to do as I did and simply copy paste the exact first line of the trace into google and get an answer. I would like to mark this thread as solved!
Previous Topic:How to save the version of code before every build
Next Topic:Addon/Plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:45:54 GMT 2024