Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository
How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806608] Sat, 11 May 2019 17:36 Go to next message
telelolo123A telelolo123A is currently offline telelolo123A telelolo123AFriend
Hello, everybody,

I'm completely new to the Eclipse world, but I want to use Eclispe EMF for modeling and store the models in a CDO repository. I was able to create an Eclipse "ECore Model Project", develop a model there and generate Java code. I now want to add this model to a CDO repository. For this I installed the CDO extension. I also can create a repository and create and edit HelloWorld text files as well as edit and merge them in different branches. However, I don't know how to move or create an ECore model project in a CDO checkout.

Eclipse Version: Eclipse Modelling Tools 2019-03 (4.11.0)
Used Perspectives:
1. Perspective: CDO Explorer (Here I can manage my CDO repository and edit text files, but not create an ECore model project.)
2. Perspective: Modeling (Here I can create an ECore model project but not add it to my CDO checkout or CDO repository.)

More information can be seen on the picture in the attachment (because I can't insert the picture directly here, because I'm a new user in the forum)

I would be very happy about help!
Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806693 is a reply to message #1806608] Tue, 14 May 2019 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Since no CDO user is answering, I think I can help you with perspectives.

Each Eclipse perspective offers a small functionality selection mostly of views that was at one time considered appropriate for a particular application. This can be helpful in providing a less cluttered screen layout. GIT and Debug perspectives are good examples for specialized work. Other perspectives tend to support primary styles of work. (Over time some perspectives seem to lose relevance.) Personally I do as much work as possible in the Java perspective even though I develop plugins for which I find the PlugIn perspective unnecessary. In practice you can evolve any perspective to suit your taste by just opening views.

While I do a lot of modelling, I find the Modelling perspective unhelpful since too many functionalities are missing. I only switch to a Modelling/Sirius/Papyrus perspective when I need a Sirius/Papyrus facility that cannot be accessed from the Java perspective.

The CDO perspective is I assume a specialized perspective for CDO in a similar way to GIT, so I would not expect CDO to have a comprehensive set of views or menus..

As noted above, I find the Modeling perspective sadly lacking in many ways.

I would therefore recommend that you use the Package Explorer View, either by adding it to your normal perspective, or by using it as part of the Java perspective.

You should have no trouble accessing New->Project... or New->Example... from the Package Explorer.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806710 is a reply to message #1806693] Tue, 14 May 2019 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi,

There are many ways to use CDO. A very common way is to create a (meta) model, for example in a normal "Ecore model project" in a development IDE, create a corresponding GenModel, generate the Java code for the meta model. Then you deploy the generated model plugins to the CDO Explorer and use them to populate your (non-meta) models/resources, commit them to the CDO repository and work with them as you've described already.

You can also develop your Ecore meta model with CDO in the first place. Is that what you are asking for?

Cheers
/Eike

Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806728 is a reply to message #1806710] Tue, 14 May 2019 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ed,
Hello Eike,

Thank you for your timely answers. Especially that the main contributor of the CDO project answers this question, I am very happy!

Unfortunately I confused you a bit when I wrote that I already created source code. This should only show you that my EMF installation is working, but I have problems adding an ECore Model project to my CDO repository.

As Eike's second guess says, the first step is to model a metamodel in a team similar to programmers who manage their source code via Git. (I understood CDO to be the git for meta models. That's exactly how I want to use it with my team ;-)). After that we might use CDO the way you wrote in the first paragraph.
Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806734 is a reply to message #1806728] Tue, 14 May 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

If you need many metamodels and fine-grained collaboration between concurrent developers, CDO is the way to go.

If you just want to keep track of the occasional changes to a few metamodels that are just a few of your many controlled artefacts, use GIT; your colleagues will be grateful for keeping history in one rather than two tools.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806741 is a reply to message #1806734] Tue, 14 May 2019 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Ed,

We will mainly do modelling :-) So CDO ist the way to go.

Regards
Telelolo123A

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2019 16:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806809 is a reply to message #1806741] Wed, 15 May 2019 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Eike,

do you have any ideas? With the help of File -> New -> ECore Modelling Project I can create a project but it will not be added to my checkout / transaction (picture 1, 2 and 3). On the other hand I have the problem, if I right click on my checkout / transaction, I cannot add an ECore Modelling Project (picture 4).
  • Attachment: 1.png
    (Size: 33.53KB, Downloaded 87 times)
  • Attachment: 2.PNG
    (Size: 21.96KB, Downloaded 81 times)
  • Attachment: 3.png
    (Size: 42.94KB, Downloaded 88 times)
  • Attachment: 4.png
    (Size: 43.57KB, Downloaded 96 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2019 13:23]

Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806840 is a reply to message #1806809] Thu, 16 May 2019 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm on travel, so just in short:

1) Start a repository.
2) Add a repository connection in the "CDO Repositories" view.
3) Create a Checkout and select it in the Project Explorer view.
4) Create a New -> Model Resource under the checkout.
5) Open the resource and add a New Root object to it. Select the Ecore package and then the EPackage class.
6) From there you can populate your new EPackage quite as normal. You don't need an Ecore Modeling project.

Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1806942 is a reply to message #1806840] Sat, 18 May 2019 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Eike,

thank you so much for taking the time for us during your trip! You have already helped us a lot. Personally I would like to work with the Design Viewpoint to manipulate the ECore package. In an ECore modeling project for testing purposes which is not hosted in a CDO repository, I have a .arid file available for this purpose. If I could use this viewpoint, the pair of Eclipse EMF and CDO would be perfect for me. If there's no way to do that, it wouldn't be so bad (if there's a way to open the design viewpoint and I don't use an .arid file, that's fine too).

However, I have been searching for a few hours since yesterday to change the viewpoint to the design viewpoint. Can you help me with that, too? That would be very nice. I don't know how I can thank you.

I have uploaded a screenshot of the latest status to the attachment.

With kind regards
telelolo

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2019 14:46]

Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1807001 is a reply to message #1806942] Tue, 21 May 2019 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose this "Design Viewpoint" comes from EcoreTools or Sirius, so I can not comment on it. Most likely it's not prepared to use CDO as a persistence layer out of the box. Both technologies are developed by Obeo and I know that Obeo offers a team-enabled version of their Obeo Designer. Have a look at https://www.obeodesigner.com/en/collaborative-features

Re: How can I add an ECore Modeling Project into my CDO Repository [message #1807081 is a reply to message #1807001] Wed, 22 May 2019 10:18 Go to previous message
Hello Eike,

Thanks for your help. I will follow that up.

With kind regards
telelolo
Previous Topic:Duplicated @Override annotation in generated code
Next Topic:how to load EFeatureMapEntry of the referred ecore using XMI Resource load
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:03:08 GMT 2024