Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Build and share EGit / JGit(I want to build EGit / JGit for Oxygen and export it as installable Plugin)
Build and share EGit / JGit [message #1806242] Mon, 06 May 2019 17:26 Go to next message
Lars C is currently offline Lars CFriend
Hi,

I want to compile my own version of EGit / JGit.

I used this page to setup my development environment:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide

1. Went through "Automated Developer Setup" steps
Where you choose "Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Commiters", I've chosen Oxygen as "Product Version".
At the next page, I selected "EGit" and at the third page, "Oxygen" as "Target Platform", again.

2. When Eclipse was ready with installing everything, I made a few changes at UIText.java, uitext.properties and CommitMessageComponent.java

3. I closed "EGit Tests" working set because of cyclic dependencies.

What do I have to do now to get "something" which is installable in an existing Oxygen Eclipse installation on a different computer?

I don't mind if I have to replace some jars or setup my own update page.

Keep in mind that Eclipse Oxygen for Java EE developers already contains EGit / JGit which should be replaced with my version.

I tried exporting "EGit" working set as "Deployable plug-ins and fragments" with following options:
-Selected "Available Plug-ins and Fragments":
org.eclipse.egit
org.eclipse.egit.core
org.eclipse.egit.doc
org.eclipse.egit.mylyn.ui
org.eclipse.egit.ui
org.eclipse.jgit.archive
org.eclipse.jgit

These are the plugins already installed in a fresh Oxygen for J2EE developers edition.

-Destination: Directory
-Options: just selected "Package plug-ins as individual JAR archives"

The export went well, I got my jars.

But I don't know how and where I have to paste them and if I have to remove the old jars in Eclipse.

I tried pasting them in the dropin folder, removed old jars in plugin folder and pasted my new ones there...
Nothing worked :-(

Thanks in advance for every answer :-)
Re: Build and share EGit / JGit [message #1806381 is a reply to message #1806242] Wed, 08 May 2019 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Easiest is to run the maven builds in a terminal. If you changed only EGit, just run the EGit maven build as described in the contributor guide. (I.e., include the -Djgit-site=... wiith the path to the correct JGit update site). Or alternative first build JGit locally, also as described, then build EGit.

The EGit build produces an update site in org.eclipse.egit.repository/target/repository; use that to install the new bundles via "Install New Software..."
Re: Build and share EGit / JGit [message #1806456 is a reply to message #1806381] Thu, 09 May 2019 10:34 Go to previous message
Lars C is currently offline Lars CFriend
Thanks, that helped me.

It's working!
Previous Topic:commit-id plugin reports that .gitconfig is invalid
Next Topic:Unable to push file to a remote repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:41:46 GMT 2024