Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference?
Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806020] Tue, 30 April 2019 15:05 Go to next message
Harald Welte is currently offline Harald WelteFriend

I've been thinking about this idea for quite some time now: Wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of [annual?] event related to TITAN and/or TTCN-3?

My background is Free/Open Source Software, including but not Limited the Linux world, and we have tons of conferences that bring together developers and users alike. The conferences are important both for their official program that's in the schedule as well as for their informal hallway track to facilitate exchange of ideas among people in a certain area.

It also seems that with the release of TITAN some years ago, we're slowly getting at least some adoption outside the classic/previous/traditional users of TITAN when it was proprietary. While judging from the git repositories there may not yet be a lot of outside contribution in terms of working on titan.core or related modules outside of Ericsson, one would certainly hope so that this also changes over time. And networking among the [probably comparatively small] community can be an important factor.

I specifically wouldn't want to make the event too general in scope, i.e. not a "general" TTCN-3 conference dedicating time to non-FOSS TTCN-3 compilers, or just about TTCN-3 as a language. Covering all kinds of software testing technologies is also too wide in scope.

My focus would be a community-based event, where users share their experiences and best practices in talks / workshops / tutorials. It would be great to have speakers that aren't relative newcomers like myself. But in any case, I don't think that a particularly high-profile line-up is important. Hands-on user-group style meetings are also valuable.

So I would like to start a thread here as some kind of opinion poll whether or not people here would be interested in attending a TITAN related event?

If there's some interest, I might be crazy enough to put some effort into organizing something in Berlin (Germany). The earliest possible schedule would probably be in November 2019, if planning was to start rather soon.

The event should have affordable ticket pricing to be as inviting as possible to anyone interested, and not exclude large parts of the potential audience by hefty ticket pricing or the like. My goal would be to make it cost-covering, but certainly not something I'd plan as a profit/business.

Please let me know what you think. Who would be interested in attending?

Regards,
Harald
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806022 is a reply to message #1806020] Tue, 30 April 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kristof Szabados is currently offline Kristof SzabadosFriend
I would be ;)

BR
Kristof
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806072 is a reply to message #1806020] Thu, 02 May 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sascha Hackel is currently offline Sascha HackelFriend
Dear Harald,

thank you for the great idea.

We from Fraunhofer FOKUS would definitely visit such conference.

We might also be open to support you in activities related to the conference (talks / workshops / tutorials) and, if the daily business allows it, to even help you in organization.

Please keep us informed.

Best regards,
Sascha
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806084 is a reply to message #1806072] Thu, 02 May 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andre Puschmann is currently offline Andre PuschmannFriend
Hi guys,

Software Radio Systems would also be interested in participating.

Thanks Harald for bringing that up

Andre
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806085 is a reply to message #1806072] Thu, 02 May 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the double post.

---

Hi guys,

Software Radio Systems would also be interested in participating.

Thanks Harald for bringing that up

Andre

[Updated on: Thu, 02 May 2019 11:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806138 is a reply to message #1806085] Fri, 03 May 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Harald,

thank you for promoting this idea; I feel a bit embarrassed as I feel it would be our ( meaning the Titan developer team) obligation to organize such a conference. BTW we intended to,
unfortunately all kinds of bureaucratic obstacles stopped us. We may revisit the idea though in happier times.

That being said, of course we would like to represent ourselves on this conference and meet the most active part of our user community.
Can't commit myself to figures right now, but we are talking a group of maybe three to five people.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806160 is a reply to message #1806138] Sat, 04 May 2019 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Kaiser is currently offline Alexander KaiserFriend
Hi Harald,

I like the idea and would be definitely interested in attending such a conference.

Best regards,
Alex
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806161 is a reply to message #1806138] Sat, 04 May 2019 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the positive feedback, and particularly thanks to Sascha from Fraunhofer FOKUS for offering to help.

Dear Elemer,

there's no need to be embarrassed about anything. You're creating and maintaining a great piece of software, and it' s Free/Open Source. Nobody can expect you guys to do even more than that. And the point of being FOSS means exactly that not everything has to always originate at Ericsson [anymore].

I'm happy to receive positive feedback already from a few people here.

Now the big question is of course for what kind of size to plan the event in terms of a venue. There are "hackerspace" type venues that could host about 25 people, or there are of course tons of typical commercial/hotel type venues in all kinds of sizes. We've organized Osmocom related events of up to about 70 attendees in some of those so far. It's really hard for me to guess if that's too small or too large for a TITAN related event.

In terms of duration, I would argue a single (full) day is sufficient for a first-time event. But then of course there's the usual position of people travelling from more distant places, who state that the travel overhead for just a single day is too much. So two days is also an option, but I'm not entirely sure we can find sufficient number of (quality) speakers/talks. Maybe with one of the two days oriented towards more hands-on tutorials/workshops, while the second one is more about talks? In that case people can choose if they want to attend one or two days.

Any thoughts about this?

I guess the next steps are:
* decide on 1day / 2days
* pick a venue/size, obtain availability information
* run a poll about the possible dates in the late october/november time frame
* decide on the date based on the poll results; confirm dates with venue
* put together a schedule in terms of CfP deadline, review deadline, early bird ticket deadline, ...

Once that is set, we can issue a CfP and ask for submissions. We have a pretalx instance at sysmocom, which is a FOSS web based system for the CfP/review/schedule planning process. We also have a pretix instance that can be used for online ticket sales.
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806165 is a reply to message #1806020] Sat, 04 May 2019 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

One item I forgot: We have to ensure no overlaps with other relevant conferences/events. I think late October is EclipseCon Europe, Embedded Linux Conf and + Open Source Summit EU. Early November looks better, IMHO, as there's only the Open Source Monitoring Conference and the TCL conference in early November, where I would expect even less overlap and hence schedule conflicts.

Speaking of EclipseCon Europe: Elemer, have you guys ever thought about running a separate TITAN track there? I've never attended one, but given that TITAN is within the Eclipse foundation, that seems like an obvious option?

Yet another completely different idea: What about applying for a "DevRoom" at FOSDEM 2020? If you've never been at FOSDEM: It's the largest meeting of FOSS developers, held annually over a weekend in late January / Early February at the ULB University campus in Brussels. The concept is to have dozens and dozens of parallel "DevRooms", where each room is typically for one project or one specific topic. The respective group organizes their own schedule in that room. The rooms are typically allocated for one of the two days only. There's no cost associated with either the rooms nor the event. Everyone can attend without any registration. That's great but also means that often there are queues. But given that TTCN3 is (for better or worse) not the most sexy topic to mots people, I don't think we'd be suffering from a too large crowd.
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806215 is a reply to message #1806165] Mon, 06 May 2019 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

FOSDEM is a great place to meet and also have informal discussions. The danger, if you will, is that it's too packed and there are too many devroom submissions that it doesn't even get accepted.
Also just wanted to mention that there is UCAAT [1] end of October, which is an ETSI sponsored event. Even if not part of the main event, perhaps also a pre-conference workshop could be interesting.

Cheers
Andre

[1] https://ucaat.etsi.org/
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806236 is a reply to message #1806215] Mon, 06 May 2019 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Andre Puschmann wrote on Mon, 06 May 2019 11:34

FOSDEM is a great place to meet and also have informal discussions. The danger, if you will, is that it's too packed and there are too many devroom submissions that it doesn't even get accepted.

fully agreed. I was just pointing out an option, not stating that this is my preferred suggestion.

Andre Puschmann wrote on Mon, 06 May 2019 11:34

Also just wanted to mention that there is UCAAT [1] end of October, which is an ETSI sponsored event. Even if not part of the main event, perhaps also a pre-conference workshop could be interesting.

It's already too late to submit anything to UCAAT 2019. Also, looking at the schedule last year, it seems way too general for what I had in mind. Sure, some TTCN coverage, but not much (and not FOSS/TITAN specific).

So I guess we're back to the orignal plan of doing something separate in Berlin. For sure it shouldn't overlap with UCAAT, and it wouldn't if we hold it in early November as suggested earlier.

btw: We also have to think about a name. What about TTUC (TITAN TTCN3 User Conference)? It's an acronym, and the TT prefix nicely aligns with TTCN3.
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806265 is a reply to message #1806236] Tue, 07 May 2019 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yann Garcia is currently offline Yann GarciaFriend
Dear Harald,

It's a great idea ;)
FSCOM is also really interested by your proposal and we will do our best to visit you.

Best regards,
Yann
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806721 is a reply to message #1806265] Tue, 14 May 2019 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Harald,

we have no experience with EclipseCon, I'll look into it, but in my experience with conferences of this type,
there's a committee which decides what represents interest and what doesn't. I don't think Titan falls in the mainstream of Eclipse
interest.

On the other hand, we have been present on every UCAAT conference, a colleague of mine has even chaired one of them, and we had several presentations about Titan;
there's is an amount of interest around TTCN-3 , but the emphasis is shifting towards model based technologies, and again , there's a committee , with members from other TTCN-3 tool vendors,
not necessarily concerned with promoting Titan.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1806791 is a reply to message #1806721] Wed, 15 May 2019 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xavier ZeitounFriend
Hi Harald,

That a great initiative!
At CEA LIST we are also using TITAN and would be glad to participate to such event.

Best regards,
Xavier
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1816074 is a reply to message #1806791] Fri, 18 October 2019 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

I know it's been a while since this topic was brought up but, unfortunately, we couldn't really agree on something, at least not for this year.

Anyways, we're still very much supporting the idea of having a TITAN user meetup and perhaps an informal beer-event co-located with some other conference that at least has some overlap could be a good start.

There is UCAAT in Bordeaux next week which I will be attending. In case other TITAN hackers happen to be around it would be cool to catch up in some way.

Early next year, i.e. February 2020, there will be FOSDEM in Brussels so this could be another good place to catch up.

Cheers
Andre
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1846930 is a reply to message #1816074] Sat, 09 October 2021 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olaf Bergengruen is currently offline Olaf BergengruenFriend
Hi all,

Is there still interest in a TTCN/Titan user conference? (the last post was on February., 2020!)

May be we can try again?

Olaf
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1846973 is a reply to message #1846930] Mon, 11 October 2021 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yann Garcia is currently offline Yann GarciaFriend
Hello,

During the next UCAAT virtual meeting, I'll do a presentation with a lot of example and demonstration, par of them using TITAN (MEC, ITS, NG112).

BR\ Yann
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1846975 is a reply to message #1846930] Mon, 11 October 2021 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Olaf Bergengruen wrote on Sat, 09 October 2021 13:08

Is there still interest in a TTCN/Titan user conference? (the last post was on February., 2020!)

There is still as much interest from my side as was there back then. However, we had that slight interruption by a global pandemic, which still is far from being over or resolved.

I'm not a big fan of virtual conferences, and I still think it is too early to reliably plan on-site real-world conferences at this point. So if I was involved in organization (e.g. my previous proposal to organize an event in Berlin), I would further postpone and see how things generally develop.

Needless to say, if somebody else wants to take the initiative, I would of course also enjoy that. But without knowing the full context and the pandemic situation at the time, I wouldn't be sure if I would be attending.
Re: Any interest in a TTCN/TITAN related conference? [message #1850638 is a reply to message #1846975] Fri, 11 March 2022 09:48 Go to previous message
Matthias Simon is currently offline Matthias SimonFriend
This years User Conference on Advanced Automated Testing is calling for submissions, deadline is 2 May 2022. Topics of interest include:

• Open-source projects, testing solutions and automated test frameworks.
  • Lessons learnt from advanced test automation techniques (CI, AI, Cloud, ...)
  • Good practices for automated testing (TDD, BDD, MBT, ...)
  • Advances in test specification languages and methodologies

It's not a sole TTCN-3 conference, but still. It would be great to have some Titan folks around!
Previous Topic:Encode/Decode enable for all ttcn modules
Next Topic:How to get the component name from PORT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:35:03 GMT 2024