Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Just a little bit grey background for white allergic... please?(Serious eye condition demands not exactly white backgrounds)
Just a little bit grey background for white allergic... please? [message #1805399] Sat, 13 April 2019 18:49 Go to next message
Valeri Kursk is currently offline Valeri KurskFriend
I have white allergy which means serious head ache when staring white backgrounds for prolonged time like two hours.
I have been trying to start to use Eclipse in many occasions but it has been impossible because of dark coloring scheme has not been working. The thing with it and similar crippled schemes in other software is emerging even worse situation where some frequently used window which does not obey the scheme suddenly pops up in full contrast with some other window of the dark theme. So I have been forced to use PHPStorm with PHP but that has not Java support and Netbeans is not any better than Eclipse in this coloring scheme respect.
What I need is to be able to stare screen whole day.
Solution to really help people like me with this white allergic medical condition would be extremely simple.
There is NOT dark theme needed. Not at all and nothing like that.
Solution is to have just a little grey tint of grey in background.
So would it be possible for some serious hacker to change every white to show up as just a little bit grey?
Where ever there is hardcore white in UI of Eclipse I would like to have grey RGB like #e8e8e8. That is such a simple thing to ask I know but I take it is seriously hard to implement if the coloring scheme design is not proper.
I have already read from this forum that Eclipse coloring scheme design is really a multilayered mess so the shortcut would be to use brute force.
If someone has any trick to create grey tint I would appreciate. And yes - OS which happens to be Windows has not capability for any general solution (nor any Linux distribution I'm aware of for that matter). That why this has to happen at application level.
Re: Just a little bit grey background for white allergic... please? [message #1805406 is a reply to message #1805399] Sun, 14 April 2019 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What happens when you do try the "dark coloring scheme", visually speaking? What does "not working" actually mean? You're trying this on the most recent release, right, with the built-in dark theme?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Sun, 14 April 2019 07:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Just a little bit grey background for white allergic... please? [message #1805412 is a reply to message #1805406] Sun, 14 April 2019 17:35 Go to previous message
Valeri Kursk is currently offline Valeri KurskFriend
Dark theme it is something I cannot use. That is because it has white fonts. For me white fonts on black is impossible.
Reason for this is that white fonts on black or even blackish background results serious ghost imaging.
I would like to elaborate the reason behind my white allergy. It happens not directly but because of condition known as amblyopia.
This amblyopia is a form of small inborn brain dysfunction in which the normal signaling and it's control between brain and physical eye is altered. It is usually only in other eye nerve path.
Consequence is that other pupil stays too much opened all the time. So the light goes in and iris tries to control size of pupil but fails and too much light enters retina. At the same time the other eye works normally and the difference is too much for brain to interpret. 1-5% of population has amblyopia. So it is about as common as to reach 6"3.
I still don't think white on black generating ghost images is particular for my condition but more like general human condition.(common sense tells that the extreme in this situation cannot be optimal to start with ) But I don't think there is much scientific results available. Most papers about coloring schemes are written by people who want to support "cool" looks and they have not had real problems with their eyes. That kind of paper does not exist. Still I have made a lot of my own investigation on subject: How to find more peaceful color scheme. One of the most repelling is white on black. But for an eye that cannot squeeze pupil enough black background still is best when we talk about editors. If we talk about generic GUIs then grey background is superior for amblyopists. That is because grey creates great compromise with contrast of environment. The eye is in constant move when brain handle GUI components. They are bigger and there is no need to see exactly details. Brain fills details and saves energy. But when we edit text the eye stays more stationary. When we read the eye is at its most stationary state. So brain starts to concentrate on details( and even gets exhausted). On black BG colored editors different levels of combined blue and green are best for fonts. orange is very good too. Then comes bright green and darker pink. It is surprisingly small set of colors that are actually useful if the goal is to color code some code on black background. But then if you change the background to be other than black things are not greatly changing in that respect. Black BG still has most options for FG in color coding.
White can be used only in little things like parentheses or operators. On grey BG simply plain old black text is best.
Previous Topic:Can't install Eclipse on Ubuntu
Next Topic:Brand new to Eclipse using Java. HelloWorld spawns immediate error.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:55:23 GMT 2024