Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo Future
Virgo Future [message #1804780] Mon, 01 April 2019 07:37 Go to next message
Felix Schöpf is currently offline Felix SchöpfFriend
Dear Virgo Committers,

We are using Virgo in production for various software products. Unfortunately, we realised that there isn't much going on in the virgo and gemini github repos.

Hence, the following questions arose:
* Are there any concrete plans for future virgo releases?
* When can we expect Java 9+ support?
* If we could be of any help: What do you think, how much effort needs to be put into Virgo (in man-months), to make it
** Java 9+ compatible
** support latest spring versions
** support latest tomcat version (I think this is not a topic yet, as Violeta Georgieva is continuously updating gemini web)
* Are there other companies and community members who are heavily interested in future Virgo updates and support?

Best regards,
Felix
Re: Virgo Future [message #1804785 is a reply to message #1804780] Mon, 01 April 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hello Felix,

I am an active committer on the Virgo Tools, the Eclipse plug-ins for Virgo.

With respect to the plug-ins, I have been waiting for the Libra project to release a binary build of their project. The Libra project is a dependency of the Virgo Tools and they had some issues with Eclipse since Photon.

With respect to the server, I believe that big part of the scope planned for Virgo 3.7.0 is done, because the most challenging task, the Equinox upgrade, is at a good stage thanks to Florian's effort, but I'll let Florian, our project lead, speak for himself.

Unfortunately, we cannot evolve Virgo at the speed we would like to, because this project is lacking a sponsor and is maintained and evolved by committers in their spare time. As you noticed, Violeta is doing a great job.

For this reason, your help would be greately appreciated by all committers and by all Virgo users. Florian will be able to provide more details about the effort.

Meanwhile let me tell you that contributors first have to sign the Eclipse Contributor Agreement, which can be done from the Eclipse user page, then contributors typically start with some simple bugzilla issues to get used to the process and coding standards, and finally participate to more complex development.

Thank you again
Giamma.

Re: Virgo Future [message #1804787 is a reply to message #1804785] Mon, 01 April 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Giamma,

Thanks for the quick reply. This sounds better than I expected.

I am very much looking forward to Florians comments.

Concerning contribution: We (Stefan Zugal) already contributed some minor changes for Virgo Snaps, to get it into 3.7.x. So we at least have some knowledge about the process and virgo sources.

As soon as Florian posts his comments, we will discuss future Virgo commitment of our company internally in more detail.

I'll keep you updated.

Best regards,
Felix
Re: Virgo Future [message #1804830 is a reply to message #1804787] Tue, 02 April 2019 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Waibel is currently offline Florian WaibelFriend
Hi Felix,

as Giamma already mentioned the most challenging part for a new major release is the Equinox upgrade.
With Tom (Watson) I was able to make progress there but sadly wasn't able to finish it in the time I reserved for the task.
Afterwards I wasn't able to stay in a productive flow in the small time-frames that came available now and then... :-(
I'll look at the Gerrit changes and try to get some fresh memories...

Upgrading to the latest versions of Spring Framework (5.1.x) would most probably require some changes in Gemini Blueprint.
Most probably Olaf Otto could share some insight here.

A release with the latest Tomcat and Spring Framework 4.3.23 (based on Virgo 3.7.x) should be doable in a few days.

Hope this helps,
florian
Re: Virgo Future [message #1804834 is a reply to message #1804830] Tue, 02 April 2019 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Florian,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you see any other critical parts, besides the Equinox upgrade and therewith the Java 9+ support, which could endanger usage of Virgo in production environments in the next couple of years? E.g.: Spring OSGi compatibility?

From your point of view, is there a chance that we could be of any help in the Equinox upgrade process?

Anyways, we will discuss internally, how, when and to what extent we could participate in the Virgo development and keep you updated.

Best regards,
Felix
Re: Virgo Future [message #1805937 is a reply to message #1804834] Mon, 29 April 2019 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Waibel is currently offline Florian WaibelFriend
Hi Felix,

a first snapshot build for our Tomcat flavour based on Equinox 3.13 is available.

Best regards,
florian

[1] https://ci.eclipse.org/virgo/job/virgo-master/1476/
Re: Virgo Future [message #1805993 is a reply to message #1805937] Tue, 30 April 2019 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Florian,

Thank you for the new version. Unfortunately, I do encounter some problems using startup.bat/startup.sh as we already discussed in a different channel.

Meanwhile, we internally discussed our commitment in the Virgo development and we definitely want to participate. Hopefully we are able to free up some time in the next few weeks.

We would definitely benefit from instructions on how to set up the "perfect" Vrigo development environment (Linux and/or Windows 10) and some useful links for reading.
Unfortunately, the Virgo wiki seems outdated or incomplete.

We are thankful for every information we can get!

Best regards,
Felix
Re: Virgo Future [message #1816571 is a reply to message #1805993] Thu, 31 October 2019 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Albano is currently offline Justin AlbanoFriend
Hey all,

Is there any timetable for JDK 9+ support? I.e., an estimate of when Virgo will be compatible with JDK 9+?

I am currently upgrading our application to use JDK 11, but Virgo support is currently the long pole in the tent.

Thank you for your help.
Re: Virgo Future [message #1816575 is a reply to message #1805993] Thu, 31 October 2019 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
venki j is currently offline venki jFriend
Dear Florian,

I was going through the forums but could not find when Java 9+ support is expected. Please let us know the time line for Java 9+ support .

thank you,
Venki
Re: Virgo Future [message #1844873 is a reply to message #1816575] Tue, 28 September 2021 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob li is currently offline rob liFriend
Dear Florian,

when will 3.8.0 be released? We hope to upgrade to 3.8.0 to adopt spring 5.

thanks,
Rob
Re: Virgo Future [message #1852258 is a reply to message #1804780] Fri, 06 May 2022 10:36 Go to previous message
Martin Zukal is currently offline Martin ZukalFriend
Hello everyone,
I am also very interested in knowing what are the plans with Virgo project. Is there any development going on right now? Is Virgo going to support Java 11 or newer? Is Virgo going to be packaged with Spring 5?
Any news regarding this awesome project will be highly appreciated.
Best regards
Martin Zukal

Martin Zukal
Previous Topic:Build issue of master branch
Next Topic:XML parser implementation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:08:34 GMT 2024