Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Proper Integration with Sirius
Proper Integration with Sirius [message #1804158] Tue, 19 March 2019 14:47 Go to next message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Hello,

I build an XText Metamodel that describes Entities and fields. Each Entity is stored in a different file. From these entities, we generate DB Table Descriptions, which are also stored in a separate but connected XText Metamodel. The model is very large, all in all we got almost 1000 Entities, from which we generate almost 3000 tables.

I would like to create Diagrams for this model with Sirius. In order to keep things simple, the user should *not* be able to modify the entities from within the diagram. The diagrams are thus just used to visualize the model. (Of course, we dont want to show the whole 1000 entities at once, so I will write some service that filters which entities are shown in each diagram.)

I followed the Sirius Starter Totorial here, but everytime the project is opened Sirius forcefully resolves the whole model, including all references in every resource. This can take a long time, up to multiple minutes. Furthermore, Sirius does not do this in a background job, but delays the startup of Eclipse, at least on some occasions.

My Question:
Surely, some of you XText guys have already done something similar. How should I properly use Sirius with an XText-managed model? I don't understand why Sirius should have to build the whole model again in an eager fashion - after all, XText builds the model lazyly and in a much faster way and even stores the index on file. Am I doing something simple wrong?

Thank you!

Re: Proper Integration with Sirius [message #1804994 is a reply to message #1804158] Thu, 04 April 2019 12:05 Go to previous message
Hendrik Buender is currently offline Hendrik BuenderFriend
Hi Konrad,

I think I had a comparable case where I wanted to show only a limited number of instances from my meta-model on a Sirius diagram. I ended up creating an unsynchronized mapping from where I added instances manually to the diagram. You can find the details in this post:
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1753609/#msg_1753609.

Cheers,

Hendrik
Previous Topic:Why I can't use one digit int ?
Next Topic:How to add LSP support in existing Xtext project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:59:38 GMT 2024