Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Diagramm for XText-Model: Load Model too slow
Diagramm for XText-Model: Load Model too slow [message #1804112] Mon, 18 March 2019 15:27 Go to next message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Hello,

I've got an existing XText Metamodel that describes Entities and fields. Each Entity is stored in a different file. From these entities, we generate DB Table Descriptions, which are also stored in a separate but connected EMF Metamodel. The model is very large, all in all we got almost 1000 Entities, from which we generate almost 3000 tables.

I would like to create Diagrams for this model. In order to keep things simple, the user should not be able to *modify* the (emantic) entities from within the diagram. The diagrams are thus just used to visualize the model. Of course, we dont want to show the whole 1000 entities at once, so I will write some service that filters which entities are shown in each diagram.

My Problem:
When I convert the project containing the model to a Model Project, the "Load Model" step takes very long, over 10 minutes. From suspending all Threads and looking into the code I realize that the whole Model, i.e., all references from every file, is resolved. This step is done each time the project is opened. How can I make this process more efficient? Some Classes involved in resolving the model are "ModelUtil" and "ReferencesResolver.resolveCrossReferences".

Our model strongly relies on cross-references between Fields, so there are many references to resolve.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Surely I am missing somthing, as I do not understand why the whole model needs to be resolved anyway - should'nt it be easily accessible through the XText index?

Any help is appreciated!
Re: Diagramm for XText-Model: Load Model too slow [message #1804385 is a reply to message #1804112] Mon, 25 March 2019 09:30 Go to previous message
Maxime Porhel is currently offline Maxime PorhelFriend
Hi Konrad,

Did you take a look to the following resources:

Did you look to the following resources ?

- White Paper on Sirius nad Xtext: https://www.obeodesigner.com/resource/white-paper/WhitePaper_XtextSirius_EN.pdf
- Integrating Xtext and Sirius: Strategies and Pitfalls: video, slides
- Xtext Editors within Sirius Diagrams the Best of both Worlds! https://www.nikostotz.de/blog/xtext-editors-within-sirius-diagrams/

They might provide you some hints about why Sirius needs to resolve the whole model and maybe give some first clues on how to improve your integration of both tools.

Regards

Maxime Porhel - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius

[Updated on: Mon, 25 March 2019 15:01]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:SYNC Between SIRIUS AND Xtext editor
Next Topic:Integrating sirius into xtext
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:11:26 GMT 2024