Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Eclipse Layout Kernel » How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm?
How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1803958] Thu, 14 March 2019 09:47 Go to next message
Laurent Redor is currently offline Laurent RedorFriend
Hi,

I have several ports on a node and I want that they are distributed on all borders and not only on one side. I don't find the right configuration. Can you help me?
I use the last version of ELK (master branch).

Steps to reproduce:
* The original graph is like in "Initial graph.png"
* Open "PortsSample.elkg" in the "Layout Graph" view
* The result of the layout is like in "Graph after layout.png": all the ports have WEST as fixed side and are distributed on this side, with overlap. Even if there is org.eclipse.elk.spacing.portPort set to 20.

The problem is the same if there are edges (for example with "Diagram with ports and edges.elkg").

I tried several configuration but without success.

Regards,

Laurent
Re: How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1804477 is a reply to message #1803958] Tue, 26 March 2019 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miro Spönemann is currently offline Miro SpönemannFriend

The ports are distributed depending on the connected edges. If there are no connected edges, they all get on the west side. In the example with edges, all edges except one go from node A to node B. If you would like the feedback edge (B to A) to be routed differently, try setting the option org.eclipse.elk.layered.feedbackEdges to true. This would also change the side of the respective ports.

The only alternative to this automatic distribution is to force each port onto a specific side. You can do that by setting org.eclipse.elk.core.options.PortConstraints to FIXED_SIDE and then assigning org.eclipse.elk.port.side to each port.
Re: How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1804542 is a reply to message #1804477] Thu, 28 March 2019 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I understand. Thank for you response.
I think that it will be a great improvement to use other sides if there is not enough space on west side (and by the way considering the property org.eclipse.elk.spacing.portPort). The main goal would be to avoid overlap.
Re: How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1804543 is a reply to message #1804542] Thu, 28 March 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Please create an issue for that: https://github.com/eclipse/elk/issues
Re: How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1804776 is a reply to message #1804543] Mon, 01 April 2019 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

I have created a bugzilla for this problem https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=545990
Do I have to create a cloned issue on GitHub?

Regards,

Laurent
Re: How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1804777 is a reply to message #1804776] Mon, 01 April 2019 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes, we use GitHub issues in the ELK project.
Re: How to avoid overlap of ports with org.eclipse.elk.layered algorithm? [message #1804835 is a reply to message #1804777] Tue, 02 April 2019 07:00 Go to previous message
Done : https://github.com/eclipse/elk/issues/412
Previous Topic:Unexpected bends in Layered Layout
Next Topic:Partial automatic layout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:01:39 GMT 2024