Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity
C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1803898] Wed, 13 March 2019 11:02 Go to next message
Yoann Farré is currently offline Yoann FarréFriend
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use variables with a multiplicity which is undefined (more than 1) and generate C++ code.
If the multiplicity field is set to 0..* , the code generator set an array. It's fine if the multiplicity is known and defined (for instance 3), but if 0..* is set, the code cannot compile.

As in C++, tables have fixed size, I propose that in the case where the multiplicity is set to *, the property would be generated as std::vector.

For example, if I defined a property like this in the model :

MyType prop[0..*]

The code result could be:

std::vector<MyType> prop;

Currently, the generated code cannot be compiled :

MyType prop[];

I know that I can create an external type which uses std::vector to type the property but I think this is a lack for the multiplicity management of a variable. Could you give your opinion and maybe other ideas ?

Regards.

Yoann.

Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1803902 is a reply to message #1803898] Wed, 13 March 2019 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It could be done as you say, but ...

Arrays can be allocated on the stack so they have a simple lifetime. They cannot grow.

Vectors have reallocatable memory on the heap, so you need to have a runtime and code generation policy that supports a heap, fragmentation and memory allocation exceptions. Possible but hard. The solution is commonly called Java.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1803964 is a reply to message #1803902] Thu, 14 March 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately Java code generation is not an adequate solution for my use case.

I suppose "std::list" (or similar classes) will give the same answer. Is there some plans to take care of * multiplicity in the C++ code generator? Maybe with a stereotype to specify the class std::list or std::vector?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Yoann.
Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1804011 is a reply to message #1803964] Fri, 15 March 2019 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Hi Yoann,

I agree that some options for dealing with unspecified multiplicities are needed. The currently generated code works for method declarations (void f(MyType par[]) compiles) but not for attribute declarations. A low level option would be to declare a pointer, in other situations, std::list or std::vector would be more appropriate. As there is more than one way to do it, the generator needs to be configurable, but the configuration option must be stored within the model (since body code depends on it). I would prefer a stereotype on a package that defines a mapping of multiplicity elements instead of a stereotype on each parameter or property declaration, since this would favour an inconsistent use within a project - do you think that there is a need to use different mappings at different places?

Ansgar
Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1804092 is a reply to message #1804011] Mon, 18 March 2019 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ansgar,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that the configuration option should be stored in the model. I agree that it would be more appropriate to have a stereotype on a package than stereotypes on each property/parameter.

I think that a default mapping through a stereotype on an owner package (or the model package) would be sufficient (for my use case at least).

Yoann.
Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1804374 is a reply to message #1804092] Mon, 25 March 2019 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ansgar,

Should I create a bug / enhancement for this feature or is it already done?

Regards.

Yoann.
Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1804510 is a reply to message #1804374] Wed, 27 March 2019 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Hi Yoann,

yes please create a bug for this issue.
Re: C++ Code Generation and variable multiplicity [message #1805588 is a reply to message #1804510] Thu, 18 April 2019 08:31 Go to previous message
Ok. It's done.

Bug 546545

Thanks.
Previous Topic:Sequence Diagrams in Papyrus
Next Topic:filter->show/hide compartments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:00:47 GMT 2024