Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » BPMN2 Property Page Redraw Loop
BPMN2 Property Page Redraw Loop [message #1803691] Wed, 06 March 2019 20:41 Go to next message
Michael Wellman is currently offline Michael WellmanFriend
For whatever reason, the BPMN2 Property Page Redraw process gets called far too often. It gets called when there is no redraw required, and when there are redraws required, it gets called repeatedly, to the point that it significantly slows down Eclipse for several minutes (or hours). I do not know enough about the Eclipse or BPMN2 source code to know where the fault lies. If it's an event respondant, then perhaps the event is being produced by Eclipse too often, or perhaps it's responding to the wrong event and thus being called more often than it should be. Complicating matters, the redraw problem doesn't happen consistently, but seems to be more likely the longer Eclipse continues to run (typically, I need to restart my computer after around 4-5 hours of continuous Eclipse usage, or the BPMN2 Property Page Redraw process is continually running and sleeping and slowing everything, including typing, to a crawl).

Would it perhaps be possible to simply update the page state (in a Redux-esque sort of architecture), then wait for the master update to run and add the new data to the view, rather than calling a separate component update process that's apparently more process intensive than it should be? This would limit the number of updates necessary, which should vastly improve the user experience for BPMN2. I realize that, for many developers, this is probably a dead project at this point (7 years is ancient to some people) but some of us still use it. I mean... it's a huge step up from when I was a military contractor maintaining 1980s and 90s era systems.
Re: BPMN2 Property Page Redraw Loop [message #1803934 is a reply to message #1803691] Wed, 13 March 2019 20:31 Go to previous message
Ralph Soika is currently offline Ralph SoikaFriend
Which versions (Eclipse, BPMN2 Plugin) and what OS plattform are you running?
We from Imixs use the plugin intensively running on Eclipse Photon on OS Linux Debain. I can not observer any slow downs. In fact I posted a blog a view days ago pointing out the Photon Update 2018-12 which brings a huge performance improvement.

Eclipse BPMN2 Plugin is based on EMF and Graphiti Framework. And for my understanding there is not really any specific rendering implementation in the BPMN2 Plugin itself. Can you post a example model here to see if I can reproduce the problem?

===
Ralph
Previous Topic:Can I extend twice the same object using modelExtension ?
Next Topic:Question parameters from .wid file tab "I/O Parameters"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:41:31 GMT 2024