Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mylyn » Mylyn clutters view by automatically adding functions. Why?(Mylyn project context cluttered)
Mylyn clutters view by automatically adding functions. Why? [message #1803321] Tue, 26 February 2019 17:47 Go to next message
Gerald Rüscher is currently offline Gerald RüscherFriend
Fellow coders,

I've been using Mylyn with Eclipse CTD (2018-12) for a few days now and unfortunately my initial enthusiasm has cooled off slightly.

The reason for this is the way, Mylyn automatically adds functions to the so-called "context" in the project explorer. Apparently, placing the cursor into a function is enough to let Mylyn add it to the context. So simply scrolling down through the source code results in Mylyn adding all kind of functions to the context and thus cluttering the entire view.

When I start my work, the context in the project explorer looks nice and clean, just like this:
- Package
--- File1.cpp
--- File2.cpp
--- File3.cpp

Only a few minutes later, the context looks like this. No editing has been done, I've been just scrolling through some of the files:
- Package
--- File1.cpp
-------- func_a(int a, double b, ...)
-------- func_b(char c, double b, ...)
-------- func_n(MyClass A, ...)
-------- func_z(SomeClass X, SomeOtherClass Y, int a, double b, ...)
--- File2.cpp
-------- foo(int a, double b, ...)
-------- bar( char c, double b, ...)
--- File3.cpp
-------- my_memcpy(int a, double b, ...)
-------- my_strcpy(char c, double b, ...)
-------- their_diff(MyClass A, ...)
-------- ya_func(Sp1, p2, p2..)

(I would have included one or two screenshots but apparentyl this is not allowed for new users)

Anyway this is just the start. After working for a few hours, the context becomes so bloated that it's better to switch back to the good old standard, non-focused view

Frankly I don't understand this. Isn't the whole point of a task-driven context view to keep distractions and clutter to an absolute minimum? With all that auto-add/auto-expand, the "focussed" project explorer is less readable than the standard view. I must be doing someting wrong.

Bottom line:
Is there any way to turn off this feature? Or at least to keep Mylyn from automatically expanding the file entries? Any advice?

Cheers,
Gerald
Re: Mylyn clutters view by automatically adding functions. Why? [message #1807517 is a reply to message #1803321] Fri, 31 May 2019 17:30 Go to previous message
Chris Genly is currently offline Chris GenlyFriend
I'm surprised no one has answered.

Are you talking about the mylyn context, or the project view?

The context is supposed to accumulate info about what functions you've used. That way it can hide unrelated functions (if you enable mylyn in your editor). To view the mylyn context you have to use the mylyn task editor.

The project view on the other hand can get crowded with functions. I personally find this annoying and disable it. I develop using Java, not C/C++. I assume the steps are the same. In the project view, open the toolbar menu (using the little triangle that points downward). Then select "Filters...". In the filters dialog select the kinds of things you don't want to appear in the project view.

I hope this helps.
Previous Topic:Where are the color preferences for mylyn?
Next Topic:Exported Eclipse Workbench App Doesn't Show Mylyn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:34:31 GMT 2024