Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor
Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1802990] Wed, 20 February 2019 10:47 Go to next message
Jesús Gorroñogoitia is currently offline Jesús GorroñogoitiaFriend
Hi,
Do you know if Papyrus ALF editor (incubation) is still alive? Last ALF editor version was available for Oxygen, but it is not now. Indeed, there are not update sites for ALF editor compatible with following Eclipse versions (Photon, 2018-09/12).
I see that latest Papyrus version includes plugins for ALF language, and even and UI, which I couldn't find in the Eclipse Workbench, so I wonder how can we create ALF code in Papyrus if that feature is still there (maybe hidden). I couldn't find any documentation for ALF beyond Oxygen version.
I could manage to install the Oxygen version of ALF in more recent Eclipse versions from the Jenkins update site, but I am facing lots of XText validation errors in my ALF code, despite this code is valid according to the ALF specification and examples I've found out there.
Thanks for your response in advance.
Regards
Yosu

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2019 10:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1802992 is a reply to message #1802990] Wed, 20 February 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Tatibouet is currently offline Jeremie TatibouetFriend
Hi Jesus -

It is planned to provide maintenance on Alf during the next month.
We will let you know as soon as Alf is aligned with 2018-12 and 2019-03.

Regards

Jérémie
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815188 is a reply to message #1802992] Fri, 27 September 2019 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clever Alves is currently offline Clever AlvesFriend
Hello!

I'm interested in automatically converting UML's class and sequence and activity diagrams into Java code.

I've heard of both ALF and fUML and wonder whether they could be ways of doing so...

Could someone please elaborate a little bit on it?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815213 is a reply to message #1815188] Fri, 27 September 2019 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Clever,

beside Jet

The Papyrus Software Designer features Java code generation out of the box
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_Software_Designer

You can write develop your own generators using Acceleo
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/modeling.m2t.acceleo

or directly on top of the Eclipse Modeling Framework
https://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/

/Carsten
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815295 is a reply to message #1815213] Mon, 30 September 2019 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danke für Ihre Antwort, Carsten!

"beside Jet" => I've thought of JET, but it hasn't been updated since 2011... (https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/modeling.m2t.jet). I was wondering whether I could export UML diagrams in XML format and import them into a JET (Java Emitter Templates) platform to automatically generate Java code. I guess it'd be very tough to parse the XML and generate the code, there'd still be considerable manual work.

"The Papyrus Software Designer features Java code generation out of the box" + "directly on top of the Eclipse Modeling Framework" => "It allows to create Java source code from a class diagram." (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Java_Code_Generation) + "...for building tools and other applications based on a structured data model...produce a set of Java classes for the model" (https://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/). I aim at generating code from the three diagrams altogether (class and sequence and activity diagrams).

"You can write develop your own generators using Acceleo" => Although it sounds promising, I think it'd be easier to build UML diagrams on UML Designer (http://www.umldesigner.org/) and generate code from them on UMLGen (https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/modeling.umlgen), would you know these tools? Any comment on them? They both have close relationship with Acceleo.

Could you please comment on ALF and fUML as well?

Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Clever.
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815310 is a reply to message #1815295] Mon, 30 September 2019 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You have been deceived.

The JET2 project is indeed very dead and in the process of being archived, but JET is a critical part of EMF so JET is not going away any time soon. Indeed Ed Merks has recently added a JET editor to the capabilities of EMF.

You can use Acceleo.

You should be aware that Xtend also qualifies as an M2T tools since its string templates functionality is just what M2T needs. Its overall status as a Java++ provides considerable flexibility and familiarity, although sadly not all Xtend tooling functionality manages to reach the same quality as JDT for plain Java.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815321 is a reply to message #1815295] Mon, 30 September 2019 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Clever,

Quote:
I aim at generating code from the three diagrams altogether (class and sequence and activity diagrams).

Ups !!!

Are you really sure, you want to base your transformations on diagrams?

I personally would base the transformations on models conforming to a specific meta-model.

And here fUML comes into play, as fUML provides a meta-model well suited to do transformations of classes and the behavior of instances of these classes. The Eclipse Moka project uses such transformations under the hood to enable simulation and debugging of fUML models.

Best regards
Carsten

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2019 14:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815324 is a reply to message #1815321] Mon, 30 September 2019 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

I'm with Carsten on this! You are better off dealing with the model (a diagram is _not_ a model!).

The only exception would be for generating a user interface from the diagram diagrams.(e.g., if you have defined and using a UML-based DSML).

/Charles Rivet
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815336 is a reply to message #1815324] Tue, 01 October 2019 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your replies, Ed, Carsten and Charles!

"You have been deceived" => Actually, I thought JET=JET2...Thanks!

"Are you really sure, you want to base your transformations on diagrams?" => I do need graphical notations...

"models conforming to a specific meta-model" => Could you please clarify it? I thought of diagrams (=models?) conforming to UML (=a specific metamodel?).

"The only exception would be for generating a user interface from the diagram diagrams.(e.g., if you have defined and using a UML-based DSML)." => Yep, that's my case...So, wouldn't ALF and fUML be useful in this situation?

Regards,

Clever.

Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815358 is a reply to message #1815336] Tue, 01 October 2019 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clever Alves wrote on Tue, 01 October 2019 06:07
Thank you for your replies, Ed, Carsten and Charles!
"models conforming to a specific meta-model" => Could you please clarify it? I thought of diagrams (=models?) conforming to UML (=a specific metamodel?).

Partly, some parts have a sound foundation, many have not.
Furthermore there are many redundant ways to express semantically the same in UML (e.g. https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1751695/?srch=BehaviorExecutionSpecification#msg_1751695).

Best regards
Carsten
Re: Papyrus ALF (action language for fUML) editor [message #1815735 is a reply to message #1815358] Wed, 09 October 2019 13:48 Go to previous message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Hi,

just for your information: the current code generators in Papyrus SW designer are based on xtend and not Acceleo any more (since many years already).

Best

Ansgar
Previous Topic:Impossible to make a constructor in a ClassDiagram
Next Topic:Eclipse 201906 - sequence diagram issue sysML and UML
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:08:04 GMT 2024