Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤"
Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1802208] Mon, 04 February 2019 09:48 Go to next message
Steve Cox is currently offline Steve CoxFriend
I'm having a bit of a problem finding the setting to disable the Java editor in Eclipse from displaying >= and <= as the unicode characters "≥" and "≤". It automatically changes the characters as I type them!

Is anyone able to point me in the correct direction? My poor eyes have a hard time distinguishing < from ≤ in the editors font :)

The Eclipse version I am using is:

eclipse-jee-2018-12-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz on Fedora 29

java version "1.8.0_191"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)
Re: Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1802298 is a reply to message #1802208] Wed, 06 February 2019 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I suspect that perhaps no one else sees this behavior. I've never seen it even in my virtual Linux box... This may be a behavior of the OS itself. If you type < and then =, and then hit backspace, does it become < again or is there really a single character there? I suppose if there were really a single character the Java compiler would not like it...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1802721 is a reply to message #1802298] Thu, 14 February 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the delay in my reply. It's taken a while, but I have finally solved it!

I had initially suspected Eclipse as I did not see the behaviour in any other application or text field on my system.

It would, however, appear that it is a feature of the font I was using, known as glyph substitution. I was using the 'Inconsolata' font for the Java editor. When I switched this to a different font (a plain-old Courier font), the substitutions stopped.

Useful in some circumstances, I guess - but infuriating in this one! Still problem solved!

Steve.

Re: Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1802737 is a reply to message #1802721] Thu, 14 February 2019 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Odd. I use that same font and have not run into this.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1802752 is a reply to message #1802737] Fri, 15 February 2019 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just confirmed it - loaded up a different text editor app (Pluma) and typed '>=' in the system default font. As soon as I used the preferences to change the font to Inconsolata, the two characters changed to "≥"!

It's absolutely not Eclipse and likely to be a newer feature of the font and font render that comes with my OS (Fedora 29). However it is worth noting for future reference... it's likely to baffle others.
Re: Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1803770 is a reply to message #1802752] Fri, 08 March 2019 21:04 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
Interesting. I've seen the same problem with some code and/or output from sqLite databases to tab-delimited files. There were about four characters that would come through wrong. I'll have to look for the places where this effect occurred. I wonder why, with Unicode allowing you to print just about anything you might ever want, people are still mis-forming the font files. I've also seen this kind of thing with some professional websites that have problems with the most obvious things, e.g., quotation marks (if I remember correctly).

Here is an explanation that seems to have all the basics. I guess you'd have to test these ideas out somehow, but when two different kinds of software make two different choices and you can't set preferences to avoid problems I think you are kind of stuck.

https://askleo.com/why_do_i_get_odd_characters_instead_of_quotes_in_my_documents/

After all this time one would think that all the software out there would consistently use Unicode-8 and avoid most if not all of these problems.

Sometimes software developers have wanted to keep font files small, so they have arbitrarily decided for users that, "people communicating in the subject of , e.g., symbolic logic, need a symbol for or and another symbol for exclusive or. They don't need curly quotation marks. Just swap them out."

I just found some websites that have a few of these cheapskate code substitutions that make their screens look âuglylâ . I verified that they thought they were using UTF-8 and I tried using every single font that I could set for the display, however, nothing got rid of the problem. If I wanted to make a proper fix for this problem I suppose I'd have to get in and patch the code for the editor they used to write their text.

When I've noticed funny output from my program that uses sqLite database files to set texts to be displayed for teaching purposes;, I've never found the problem to be with Eclipse. It's always been somewhere else, either in the database creation and maintenance software, or in the code that the database manager uses to import or export data, or maybe something that a spreadsheet program used in editing database materials has done to what looks o.k. on screen but turns into something unwanted as soon as it either imports or exports information.

If I combine data from two sqlite files I may actually find that one was encoded in UTF-I 6 and the other was encoded in UTF-8, and when the two files are combined the spreadsheet program or maybe it is the database management program will run them all together and they treat them all as though there were UTF-16 or all as though they were UTf-8. Then there is a big mess.

I don't think there is going to be a real solution until the software manufacturers and font manufacturers how out the old stuff.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 March 2019 23:46]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:ecllipse distrubs Code Format
Next Topic:Changing HTML Editor Preferences
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:14:53 GMT 2024