Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Installation Problem(JRE Missing)
Eclipse Installation Problem [message #1802177] Sun, 03 February 2019 02:46 Go to next message
Kev A is currently offline Kev AFriend
I installed Java SE Development Kit 11.0.2 x64 on Windows from the Oracle website and downloaded both the zip and exe files for Windows.

index.php/fa/34799/0/

After I installed it, I checked where it was installed by going into "Configure Java" and confirmed the path as attached below. It was installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_201\bin\javaw.exe.

index.php/fa/34797/0/

Then I downloaded an installer of Eclipse IDE 2018-12 and the file name is eclipse-inst-win64.exe. This was just downloaded in my downloads folder. When I clicked this executioner file, it opens with the internet browser (Google Chrome) and it says JRE missing on the tap and "can't open the file" in the main body.

index.php/fa/34798/0/

I am not sure what is wrong. I would really appreciate any help.

• Attachment: Route.PNG
    (Size: 1.92KB, Downloaded 1236 times)
  • Attachment: Eclipse Capture.PNG
    (Size: 13.23KB, Downloaded 1278 times)
  • Attachment: JSE Kit.PNG
    (Size: 24.39KB, Downloaded 1423 times)
Re: Eclipse Installation Problem [message #1802179 is a reply to message #1802177] Sun, 03 February 2019 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Thanks for providing such clear details in your question!

Did you install Java 11.0 using the *.exe or using the *.zip?

What you show via "Configure Java" is a JRE installation for Java 8 (not 11) , and that's definitely 32 bit because it's in the (x86) folder whereas a 64 bit version would be located in just C:/Program Files/Java...

So it seems the Java 11 you installed is not in the system registry (at least not in the "expected" place) such that even "Configure Java" can't find it. The Eclipse installer looks in the system registry and the system path. If it doesn't find what it needs in either of those, it will complain.

So you have two options, install Java 8, 64 bit, or change your PATH so that it finds Java 11 in C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-11.0.2/bin

But please do let me know how you worked this out and in particular whether you used the *.exe to install Java 11, because if you did, we have to figure out in the installer why this does not end up in the system registry (or at least not in the normal place where Java 8 is registered).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Installation Problem [message #1802181 is a reply to message #1802179] Sun, 03 February 2019 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your prompt response.

To answer your question, I installed Java SE Development Kit 11 using the executioner file (.exe.). I downloaded both zip and exe, but when I opened the zip folder, there was no executioner file, so I ran jdk-11.0.2_windows-x64_bin.exe.

I don't know if it makes any difference but when I did "Configure Java", it showed two columns. One for "User" and one for "System". What I posted earlier was the "User" column, but the "System" column shows exactly the same path.

index.php/fa/34801/0/

Could you please provide more details for both options that you mentioned?

1) How do I change the path to find C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-11.0.2/bin?

2) If I choose to install Java 8, 64, which file should I install? There are 8u201 nad 8u202 and each has .exe file and .tar.gz.

index.php/fa/34800/0/

Thanks!
  • Attachment: Java 8.PNG
    (Size: 56.25KB, Downloaded 1427 times)
  • Attachment: path 2.PNG
    (Size: 4.05KB, Downloaded 1255 times)
Re: Eclipse Installation Problem [message #1802185 is a reply to message #1802181] Sun, 03 February 2019 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To change the system PATH on Windows isn't so easy to find. What I do (on Windows 7 Pro) is select the Computer in the Windows Explorer (file system explorer), and then click on the System Properties in the "tool/menu" bar. From there open the "Advanced system settings". Sorry this will all have different names on a German computer; I know because sometimes I have to admin a German computer and then get really frustrated that I can't find things... That brings up the System Properties which as an Advanced tab which has "Environment Variables" at the bottom. This brings up a tiny dialog that you can't resize where you can edit the PATH; I think that will be in the "User variables for <you>". This you can Edit... to bring up yet another very tiny dialog you can't resize where you can edit the very very long path. There's also a "Path" in System variables and probably a JAVA_HOME. You edit those too, or instead, but better to define your own user PATH which I believe is prefixed in front of the system's path. I'm not sure if we look at JAVA_HOME at all in the native code. It's a nightmare, but clearly I need to revisit how to make the installer find Java 11, and that's all done in native code written in C which is a nightmare to debug/develop. :-( And I've been afraid to install Java 11 on my system because I don't want it to become the default, and because the Java installers have a bad habit of deleting older Java installations which destroys development environments that are using them. :-(

Of course easiest is to install Java 8 with *.exe. I guess 202 is newer, but either should be fine.

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Installation Problem [message #1802193 is a reply to message #1802185] Sun, 03 February 2019 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ed!
I was able to run Java properly now after installing Java 8. The PATH solutions were very difficult to follow.

Now that I can run and code, I have another question. So "HelloWorld.java" was just a simple file that I created but I also downloaded a file called "IncomeTaxCalculator.java".

index.php/fa/34803/0/

When I try to run it, it just produces the same command that I built in "HelloWorld.java" although the code is completely different. I copied and pasted to another new class, but then now it asks me something about building Ant. What is the proper steps of opening a downloaded Java file, editing, and running?

Thanks.!
Re: Eclipse Installation Problem [message #1802199 is a reply to message #1802193] Mon, 04 February 2019 02:52 Go to previous message
That doesn't look like a Java file does it. It doesn't have the right icon and that's because the file name doesn't end with .java. Note also that the run and debug toolbar buttons have drop-down menus next to them so you can configure things such as what parameters are passed to the thing you run, so when you wonder what it is that you've run, look at the drop-down or menu bar to be sure you're really launching what you think/expect.

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Not able to debug code in eclipse.
Next Topic:Table to grow or shrink
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:52:47 GMT 2024