Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Can not open worktrees
Can not open worktrees [message #1802142] Fri, 01 February 2019 18:24 Go to next message
nice robot is currently offline nice robotFriend
It seems i've tried every combination of FileRepositoryBuilder and Git.open to get access to worktrees but all attempts fail with RepositoryNotFoundException. Is there a generic means of find and opening the repository simply based on PWD?

From within the worktree folder, i've tried every combination between the setGitDir and setWorkTree commented lines:

var repository = FileRepositoryBuilder()
		.setMustExist(true)
//      .setGitDir(File("."))
//      .setGitDir(File("./.git"))
//      .setGitDir(File("../parent/.git/worktrees/test"))
//      .setWorkTree(File("."))
//      .setWorkTree(File("./.git"))
		.readEnvironment()
		.findGitDir(
		.build()

• .setGitDir(File(".") results in java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./config
  • .setGitDir(File("./.git") results in RepositoryNotFoundException: repository not found: ./.git though .git does exist. It is the file that points to the ../parent/.git/worktrees/test folder
  • .setGitDir(File("../parent/.git/worktrees/test") results in RepositoryNotFoundException: repository not found: ../parent/.git/worktrees/test
  • .setWorkTree(File(".") results in RepositoryNotFoundException: repository not found: ../parent/.git/worktrees/test which is interesting that it finds the path to the parent repository but can't open it?

Re: Can not open worktrees [message #1802530 is a reply to message #1802142] Mon, 11 February 2019 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
It seems you have a very complicated setup of submodules and and worktrees. Are you aware of the "BUGS" section in native git's "git worktree" manpage:

Multiple checkout in general is still experimental, and the support for submodules is incomplete. It is NOT recommended to make multiple checkouts of a superproject.

Could it be you are doing exactly that .... multiple checkouts of a superproject?

Is there any public repository which you can share or steps how to reproduce your repository setup? I would like to clone and investigate.

But what I can see already now:
- You seem to be in a submodule because you don't have a .git folder but a .git file pointing to ../parent/.git/worktrees/test
- You seem to use multiple workspaces because the content of your .git file contains ....git/worktrees/...
- Typically the content of a .git file in a submodule directly after a native git recursive clone is like "gitdir: <relativePathToRootRepo>/.git/modules/<pathToSubmodule>. But youre .git file content is pointing to a <relativePathToRootRepo>/.git/worktrees/... folder? Strange. Maybe you have recursively cloned a root repo and then switched to multiple workspaces and then, in one of the workspaces you added a new submodule. Right?

Ciao
Chris
Re: Can not open worktrees [message #1802531 is a reply to message #1802530] Mon, 11 February 2019 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.

I actually do not have a complicated setup and the repository does not have any submodules. This is all I do:

git clone REPOSITORY main
cd main
git worktree add BRANCH ../worktree

And I'm trying to access the worktree folder's git history.

I will create a demo repository in the coming days to show and demo the precise problem.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 February 2019 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can not open worktrees [message #1802919 is a reply to message #1802530] Tue, 19 February 2019 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is almost certainly the same problem as submodules because worktrees use the same technique of a `.git` _file_ that points to the repository.

Here's the demo:

https://github.com/nicerobot/jgit-1802531

What are the plans to resolve this? It seems like an incredibly simple solution. If `.git` is a file, read its contents and open the repository to which it points.
Re: Can not open worktrees [message #1802967 is a reply to message #1802919] Tue, 19 February 2019 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Andre started to implement worktree support for JGit
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/q/project:jgit/jgit+is:open+message:worktree
feel free to help by implementing unit tests
Re: Can not open worktrees [message #1818125 is a reply to message #1802967] Fri, 06 December 2019 14:45 Go to previous message
Nicolas Albert is currently offline Nicolas AlbertFriend
Any news about this ?
Previous Topic:what is the of equivalent "git tag --points-at <commitId> in Jgit
Next Topic:Auto-create change-branch when pushing to gerrit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:08:13 GMT 2024