Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » GEF application is slow with Java 11
GEF application is slow with Java 11 [message #1802003] Wed, 30 January 2019 15:16 Go to next message
Shenwei Zheng is currently offline Shenwei ZhengFriend
Hello all,

I have launched an sample application with Java 11 under a high resolution monitor (4K monitor). The refresh after a mouse click is quite slow and I noticed it also depends on the size of the opened window. In the attachment there is a video showing the behavior.
Is it a known issue? Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

P.S.: to play the video you might require CamStudio Codec. Here the link: http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/1180/new-64-bit-compatible-camstudio-codec-v1-5-installer-download-link

Bests
Shenwei
Re: GEF application is slow with Java 11 [message #1802911 is a reply to message #1802003] Mon, 18 February 2019 20:21 Go to previous message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Shenwei,

thank you for reporting. I suppose the GEF FX component might be too slow in some situations, i.e. GeometryNode, Connection, and/or InfiniteCanvas. You could try to remove certain visuals from the sample application to check if one of the visuals is slowing down the application (e.g. replace Connection with Line, and GeometryNode with Rectangle for a test).

Did you test the sample application with different versions of Java so that it is certainly a Java 11 issue?

FWIW I have noticed JavaFX performance issues with large renderings. It did not bother me that much, but I was thinking about the following:
- take tiling snapshots of the whole rendering
- replace snapshots with actual visuals when visible
- otherwise just show the snapshot

However, that might still not be good enough for a large window on a large monitor. So if you have another strategy in mind, please share.

Best regards,
Matthias
Previous Topic:Selection Behaviour of edges
Next Topic:Undo/Redo button, ignore scroll down/up events
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:25:45 GMT 2024