Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Browser Search not Working
Browser Search not Working [message #1801681] Thu, 24 January 2019 16:37 Go to next message
Luca Paoli is currently offline Luca PaoliFriend
Hi, I have a RAP application for which the browser search doesn't seem to work. When I hit CTRL + F the browser doesn't show the search box.
This is really weird, has anyone come across this problem?
Does anyone know a solution to this?
I have tested it with IExplorer 11, Chrome and Firefox.
Thank you.
Re: Browser Search not Working [message #1801695 is a reply to message #1801681] Thu, 24 January 2019 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Fairhall is currently offline Chris FairhallFriend
The RAP javacript client is capturing the keypress, so your application can handle Ctrl-F if required.
If you first click in the address bar you can use native browser shortcuts, like Ctrl-F and open developer tools etc with F12

I found that standard RWT applications don't get in the way of these shortcuts, but when the Eclipse Workbench is running it does.

The application I maintain uses plain SWT controls for the login UI, there Ctrl-F brings up the browser search dialog. Once the login completes and the workbench is running, Ctrl-F doesn't work anymore - you need to use the address bar focus trick to make it work.
Re: Browser Search not Working [message #1801726 is a reply to message #1801695] Fri, 25 January 2019 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luca Paoli is currently offline Luca PaoliFriend
Hi Chris,
thanks for your reply.
Is there a way to enable browser search (CTRL+F) in RAP programmatically?
(I tried the address bar focus trick but it only works on Chrome not in IE)
Thanks.
Re: Browser Search not Working [message #1801816 is a reply to message #1801726] Sun, 27 January 2019 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Fairhall is currently offline Chris FairhallFriend
I don't know, It's probably a shortcut that the Workbench registers. The limitation isn't part of plain RWT.
Re: Browser Search not Working [message #1801841 is a reply to message #1801681] Mon, 28 January 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Hi,
this is related to default keybindings in Eclipse Workbench [1], where CTRL+F is defined for "find and replace" action.
When keybinding is defined, RAP sets so called CANCEL_KEYS [2] to suppress browser default behavior related to these key combinations.

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/rap/blob/master/bundles/org.eclipse.rap.ui/plugin.xml#L225
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/rap/developers-guide/devguide.php?topic=key-and-mouse-events.html&version=3.7#prevent

HTH,
Ivan
Re: Browser Search not Working [message #1802061 is a reply to message #1801841] Thu, 31 January 2019 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Fritscher is currently offline Michael FritscherFriend
As a work around, F3 can be used as well.
Re: Browser Search not Working [message #1803891 is a reply to message #1802061] Wed, 13 March 2019 09:45 Go to previous message
Vincenzo Caselli is currently offline Vincenzo CaselliFriend

@Michael
thank you, but the customer is asking for Ctrl-F as the users (it's a very large intranet application) are using this keybinding in all other web applications with IE.
But @Ivan (thank you Ivan!) gave us a hint.
We fixed it by importing org.eclipse.rap.ui sources plugin and changing the Ctrl-F binding with something else: it worked!
Thank you all
Vincenzo
Previous Topic:Show Image from Server on Browsers Canvas
Next Topic:SWT FileDialog not working on Tomcat 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:19:26 GMT 2024