Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Custom setup task dependencies problem
Custom setup task dependencies problem [message #1801668] Thu, 24 January 2019 13:20 Go to next message
Tim Sibirsky is currently offline Tim SibirskyFriend
Hello!

In our project, we have a custom Oomph Setup Task that performs some project-specific actions during the product installation. The problem is that both setup task and product use Google Guice plugins as dependencies, but with different versions (4.1.0 in task and 3.0.0 in product), and it totally breaks product.

So, are there any ways to not to install plugins that use setup task into the product? Our task has only BOOTSTRAP trigger, so it won't be used after product installations. Or maybe there are other ways to solve our problem without making any changes in product?

Thank you!

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2019 13:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Custom setup task dependencies problem [message #1801677 is a reply to message #1801668] Thu, 24 January 2019 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
So these are tasks that need to be installed in the installer itself because they run during bootstrap, right? But they're not needed in the installation itself, right? Just confirming what I think you said to be sure... :-P

When you perform the p2 task that creates the installation, are you seeing requirements listed that you're not expecting, i.e., that you have not listed in the p2 task of your product/version?

I assume that technically we should only gather requirements only from tasks that can or must run on startup or manual trigger and perhaps we've not guarded that well/properly because we've never run into a case that like. If it's doing more than that, it would be good to fix that (though I'm not thrilled at the idea of have to create a test case for it)...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Custom setup task dependencies problem [message #1801887 is a reply to message #1801677] Tue, 29 January 2019 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for keep waiting...

Yes, you have understood right. There are tasks that need to be installed in the installer to perform some specific logic, but they not needed in the installed product.

It seems that maybe installer really should not gather requirements from bootstrap-only tasks, but this question is opened for discussion, at least because I don't know if this approach will break something. Maybe it is a good idea to make installation of bootstrap-only tasks' dependencies as an optional action.

We have some ideas on how to overcome our problem, I will write if we find solution. But those ideas looks more like a bypass, not like real solution.

UPD: At Confirmation page, in P2 task I see all features from product setup file + features from out task.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2019 09:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Custom setup task dependencies problem [message #1801889 is a reply to message #1801887] Tue, 29 January 2019 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Okay, that seems wrong to me. Please open a Bugzilla; hopefully it's not so hard too fix. In general, a bootstrap only task cannot run in the IDE so need not be installed, so I don't think any other control is needed over this to make that exclusion behavior optional. One can always specify p2 dependencies on anything you want installed, so if one would want the bundle containig that task to be installed for another reason, that's already possible. The augmentation of the p2 requirements should only strictly be those tasks that are present and could/should/might run in the installation itself...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Custom setup task dependencies problem [message #1801897 is a reply to message #1801889] Tue, 29 January 2019 10:59 Go to previous message
Thanks a lot! Issue was registered in Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=543931
Previous Topic:Empty working sets created
Next Topic:USS client usability
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:21:57 GMT 2024