Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Failure to Start Installer(Java not recognized by installer)
Failure to Start Installer [message #1801627] Wed, 23 January 2019 21:00 Go to next message
Gabriel Villagomez is currently offline Gabriel VillagomezFriend
I am trying to install Eclipse for a self paced class , but even though I have both java and the developer's kit installed, every time i click on the installer, a page pops up in my browser saying that java cannot be found. I have tried updating Java and the JDK, but i still get the same message. Can anyone help me please?
Re: Failure to Start Installer [message #1801641 is a reply to message #1801627] Thu, 24 January 2019 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Are you on Windows? Which version of Java is installed? Where exactly, physically, on your machine is Java installed?

Did you get the installer from here?

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

I.e., are you trying to install the latest version of Eclipse?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Failure to Start Installer [message #1801688 is a reply to message #1801627] Thu, 24 January 2019 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Call is currently offline Chris CallFriend
I was having precisely the same problem.

Windows 10 64-bit machine

Java JRE 8u201 (latest version as of today). This is the ONLY version of Java installed.

Eclipse latest version (64 bit), downloaded today.

Running the installer gave me a sequence of pop-up error messages about not being able to find a Java registry key, and not finding Java.

The problem went away after I performed these steps:

1. Used the Java uninstall tool to remove all Java versions
2. Grabbed the Java *offline* installer and used it to install Java

I'm not sure why the online & offline installers should differ, but I noticed that the offline comes in two "flavors": 32- and 64-bit, whereas the online one doesn't let you specify. Perhaps that had something to do with it (though it seems unlikely to me).

Anyway, perhaps you can fix the problem with the above steps.

Re: Failure to Start Installer [message #1801710 is a reply to message #1801688] Fri, 25 January 2019 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Well there are two different choices for Java 8, and it looks pretty easy to me to pick the first one and not realize that it's the 32 bit choice and the second one is the 64 bit choice...

Windows x86 197.66 MB jdk-8u201-windows-i586.exe
Windows x64 207.46 MB jdk-8u201-windows-x64.exe

This is why I ask exactly the location because the 32 bit choices end up in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java but the 64 bit choices end up in C:\Program Files\Java (again with the totally obvious 32 bit versus 64 bit split on those two folder names).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Failure to Start Installer [message #1801737 is a reply to message #1801710] Fri, 25 January 2019 12:15 Go to previous message
Christophe Gressin is currently offline Christophe GressinFriend
Hi,
I'm not sure if I need to create another topic, as I have exactly the same problem: I downloaded the installer and I'm always redirected to a web page asking me for Java to be installed first.

Java is installed and up to date (1.8, whem I'm asked to install 1.7.0 or later), I also installed JDK 11 as suggested, but nothing works. I rebooted several times to ensure Java installation is finished and recognized.
I'm running W10 64 bits.

Thanks for your support

EDIT : got it!
I use vivaldi as web browser and it's 32 biits browser, so my Java was for 32bits apps.
I dl Java 64 bits (https://www.java.com/fr/download/manual.jsp) and installed it, now it works

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2019 14:58]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Removing plugins from Market Place
Next Topic:Eclipse Test Dependency causing cycle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:16:09 GMT 2024