Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Cant Install (Installation issues)
Cant Install [message #1801453] Sun, 20 January 2019 01:41 Go to next message
Marcus Svensson is currently offline Marcus SvenssonFriend
Hi!

I was a happy user of eclipse up until just recently. On my former computer I ran eclipse oxygen and it worked without issues. That PC got stolen a while ago and I had to get myself a new one. low on cash as I was i got myself a pre-used older PC, works fine with linux mint 19, have no issues this far. No matter what version of eclipse I try to install I get nothing but errors. One version started up, I felt happy and started coding until the first save and then the PC crashed.

Whats causing this? Is it simply a hardware issue because the PC is older (Lenovo 3000 N100?!?!) or have I missed something? I have downloaded all the repositories I can find for each version, I have tried the "preinstalled" version through the software manager but no matter what, I cant proceed past this.

What can I do? Is there any other IDE with a GUI builder that I can try? This far I have tried Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, BlueJ and KDevelopment. The GUI bilder is unfortunately something I need since I have no clue how to build graphics , yet.

My hair starts to go gray, point me in a direction that might work please?
Re: Cant Install [message #1801455 is a reply to message #1801453] Sun, 20 January 2019 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not clear how you installed anything. You should download directly from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ and from there either download the installer or download one of the packages. The latest version of the installer and of any of the packages will require at least Java 8 to be installed on your machine before they can run. I don't think it should generally be possible for an application to crash the operating system, so that sounds like a more severe system problem you're having.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Cant Install [message #1801458 is a reply to message #1801455] Sun, 20 January 2019 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay. There has been some major difference since last night.

As you probably also understand, since the pc is older it runs on a 23-bit system and therefore I have to install and older version of the software per say. JDK and SDK and so forth should be up to date, I remember getting error-messages about that on the previous PC i owned. So that I have under control.

Now, Eclipse Helios in 32-bit I can install and run, and this allows me to write, save exit and everything else in the way it should. Now I get an buildpath error instead, But I cant find my Jar-files. Have tried right-clicking on the project, then clicking Properties and Java build path. Then i Click library and "add external Jars" but i find nothing to add.

Am I on the right path or what should I do. Sorry about the strange questions but I just want my things to work. Im not necessarily a good java coder but I want to become better and then I need to be able to code.

If you install a 64-bit software on a pc with 32-bit system It should give you an errormessage instead of trying to run the software anyway, and I think thats what caused the crashes earlier.
Re: Cant Install [message #1801490 is a reply to message #1801458] Mon, 21 January 2019 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes there should be more warning about bitness mismatch, which is what the native executable tries to do before launching Java or any other application. But of course it's totally unhelpful if the Eclipse server refuses to serve the page that tells you explicitly what you need to install. And of course a 64 bit executable will not run on a 32 bit system; the error message you get for that will be one generated by the operating system, so that's beyond our control. Also, support for any 32 bits was terminate in the most recent release, so it's unfortunately that you install an very very old version of Eclipse. The Photon version would seem a better bet...

What kind of jars are missing? The JRE itself? Is Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs configured properly? You know that you'll generally find your 32 bit JREs/JDKs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java right?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Cant Install [message #1801530 is a reply to message #1801490] Mon, 21 January 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is probably a huge solution to my problem. I am downloading Photon right now. Bit i have one little problem regarding what I think is your solution:

"What kind of jars are missing? The JRE itself? Is Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs configured properly? You know that you'll generally find your 32 bit JREs/JDKs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java right?"

I have a linux. I have been looking around but I have no clue where to start. Quite new Linux user so im not really used yet. Have used linux before but nothing more than browsing basicly.
Re: Cant Install [message #1801628 is a reply to message #1801530] Wed, 23 January 2019 21:21 Go to previous message
My problems are solved. Installed Photon, now after installation it says "oxygen 2017" upon start. But it runs great, no errors.

Thank you so much or the advise!
Previous Topic:include file path???????
Next Topic:Eclipse Titan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:31:18 GMT 2024