Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions(Plugin which was built using Eclipse-rcp Neon not working on Eclipse Photon)
Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801093] Sun, 13 January 2019 12:33 Go to next message
Ammad Ahmed is currently offline Ammad AhmedFriend
I am trying to run the Eclipse plugin which was built using Neon release on the latest versions of Eclipse. So far it works fine on the Oxygen release but doesn't work on the other latest releases.

I have the source code of the plugin (on Neon-rcp) from which I created the plugin's jar file and installed it on Neon and Oxygen versions and it works fine but when I install it on Photon, 2018-09 and 2018-12 and launch the Eclipse IDE it gives me an error message to read the log file. In the log file it states that an error occurred while activating the bundle. I even installed the java 1.8.0_102 in which the plugin was built. I searched for solutions but couldn't find one which could solve this issue. Please see the log attached.

I have no clue how to solve this problem as it works fine on Neon and Oxygen release. My main goal is to run it on the other latest releases. It would be a great help if someone point me in the right direction to solve this issue.

Thanks.

P.S : I don't have much experience with java and eclipse.
  • Attachment: log.txt
    (Size: 75.70KB, Downloaded 200 times)
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801108 is a reply to message #1801093] Mon, 14 January 2019 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I have a feeling it's related to bundle start levels. For example, in Oomph in our *.product definition we had to add the line for starting felix directly and early:
<configurations>
      <plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="4" />
      <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
      <plugin id="org.apache.felix.scr" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
      <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
   </configurations>
This line replaces this line:
      <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
The plugin org.eclipse.equinox.ds has been removed from Eclipse's feature because its only purprose was to start the felix services.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801116 is a reply to message #1801108] Mon, 14 January 2019 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Ed Merks thanks for the comment. The start level in the plugins tab of the Run Configurations is as below:
org.eclipse.equinox.common  -----> Start Level  = 2      Auto-Start = true
org.eclipse.equinox.ds    -----> Start Level  = 1      Auto-Start = true
org.eclipse.equinox.simplecofigurator   -----> Start Level  = 1      Auto-Start = true
org.eclipse.osgi  -----> Start Level  = -1      Auto-Start = true

while the start level and auto-start of all the other plugins is set to default.
Do I have to change something here ?
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801120 is a reply to message #1801116] Mon, 14 January 2019 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All my launchers are feature-based so I don't specify this at all. But if I switch to show all the plugins (I have a 2018-12 target platform) then I see org.apache.felix.src set to start level 1 with auto start true. Do you have this plugin in your list?

Ed Merks
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801123 is a reply to message #1801120] Mon, 14 January 2019 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, org.apache.felix.scr is not in the list. But i can see :

org.apache.felix.gogo.command
org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime
org.apache.felix.gogo.shell

in the Implicit Plug-in Dependencies in the target file.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801125 is a reply to message #1801123] Mon, 14 January 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really don't know all the details of how you managed your launch configuration. Did you pick a product on the Main tab? Did you try specifying a clean workspace location on the Main tab? How are you plugin's selected? There are three options at the Plug-ins tab. Which one did you use? Note that if you selectively choose plugins, and even do add all required plugins, plugins that are actually needed (though not explicitly required by plugin dependencies/requirements), might will be missing. I.e., I've often had to manually add equinox.ds to the list in this case. So can you add felix.scr manually with the Add Plug-ins button? Something needs to kick start the dependency services system very early...

Ed Merks
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801126 is a reply to message #1801125] Mon, 14 January 2019 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the main tab I have selected "Run an application" and in the dropdown "org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench" . Plugins are selected using Launch option "plugins selected below only" from where i select my plugin from wrokspace after that i click the "add required plugins" button which seems to add "167 out of 464" other plugins. I can not find "org.apache.felix.scr" anywhere in the list of plugins.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 12:25]

Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801131 is a reply to message #1801126] Mon, 14 January 2019 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I generally use the org.eclipse.sdk.ide product on the Main tab (and the products generally specify the necessary start levels). And on the Plug-ins tab, the "Add Plug-ins" button should provide a list (assuming that button is present?) and that list should include org.apache.felix.scr in it; after all, it must be in your target platform if your target platform is Eclipse 2018-09; even my very old target platforms have felix.scr in them...

Ed Merks
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801149 is a reply to message #1801131] Mon, 14 January 2019 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no "Add plug-ins" button here and on the main tab org.eclipse.sdk.ide doesn't exist. I don't know what is wrong here can't even find the org.apache.felix.scr .
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801189 is a reply to message #1801149] Tue, 15 January 2019 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you find it in your target platform? What's in your target platform? What products are available on the Main tab?

Ed Merks
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801201 is a reply to message #1801189] Tue, 15 January 2019 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it doesn't exist in the target platform. Have a look here https://ibb.co/yPkZZ3X . There is a separate target project in the workspace which loads the target platform for the plugin.
Following products are available in the Main tab:

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.app.product
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.product
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.product
org.eclipse.platform.ide
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801220 is a reply to message #1801201] Tue, 15 January 2019 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd have to show the Contents tab of your target platform in your picture. And I see Eclipse 4.6 (Neon) in the repo lists which is quite different from what you're claiming. Did you try choosing a product to launch, i.e., platform.ide?

Ed Merks
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801228 is a reply to message #1801220] Tue, 15 January 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the content tab https://ibb.co/Jj8V83D . I have also tried it with 4.7 and 4.8 but that didn't help. Also with product to launch i.e, platform.ide it behaves the same.
Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801252 is a reply to message #1801228] Tue, 15 January 2019 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed, I tried again with the 4.8 repo and with the product to launch set as platform.ide. Now i can see the "org.apache.felix.scr " in the plugin list and it is already selected. Upon running it launches the eclipse photon instance and runs the plugin successfully. But when I create the jar file of the plugin and install it in the eclipse photon it crashes the eclipse with the same error log upon launching of eclipse.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2019 20:42]

Re: Plugin not working on latest Eclipse versions [message #1801271 is a reply to message #1801252] Wed, 16 January 2019 05:24 Go to previous message
Why is your class being loaded so early during startup? Do you have a service registered that kicks in so early? Does your service do complex static initialization, i.e., does it somehow use, and require classes, from org.eclipse.core.resources to be loaded during initialization?

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:how to access dataset defined in tabular-hierarchy
Next Topic:Proxy error during startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:15:45 GMT 2024