Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Default Install Location of Eclipse using userprofile
Default Install Location of Eclipse using userprofile [message #1800746] Mon, 07 January 2019 17:21 Go to next message
Zakary Ilic is currently offline Zakary IlicFriend
Hello,

I want to install eclipse in a shared location. I also want to try to use oomph as vanilla as possible.

The default oomph eclipse install location is in the current users userprofile. I am setting the current userprofile to the public userprofile(set userprofile=%public%).
When I use the eclipse installer in simple mode it is installing in C:\Users\Public\jee-latest-released which is good, but when I use advance mode it installing in the current users profile(Example: C:\Users\Zak\jee-latest-released) and not taking in the change I made.

Can you explain why in advance mode it is not using the userprofile I set but in simple mode it does?

Edit/Update(1): I think I had some lingering configuration I had not deleted.

Now when I install eclipse running the eclipse installer as admin, simple mode is showing C:\Users\Zak\eclipse\jee-latest-released\eclipse as the install location and advance mode is C:\Users\Zak\jee-latest-released\eclipse. An extra layer is added well running the installer as an admin. This is also well having userprofile=C:\Users\Public .

I guess my new question is how does oomph eclipse installer determine the default location of the install if it is not using the userprofile environment variable? and why does an extra directory layer is used when running the installer as admin ?

[Updated on: Mon, 07 January 2019 19:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Default Install Location of Eclipse using userprofile [message #1800773 is a reply to message #1800746] Tue, 08 January 2019 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I can only suggest you look at the code. The build page has simple instructions for setting up a development environment from which you can debug-launch the installer to see how it works:

https://ci.eclipse.org/oomph/

In all cases, you can change the agent location and you can change the location where things are installed. A "shared installation" should be created by an admin with elevated privileges, and both the installation and the shared pool should be read-only for the end-users.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Default Install Location of Eclipse using userprofile [message #1800805 is a reply to message #1800773] Tue, 08 January 2019 14:21 Go to previous message
Zakary Ilic is currently offline Zakary IlicFriend
Thank you for the help and suggestions.
Previous Topic:Avoid Download Failure
Next Topic:Tycho - Could not mirror artifact
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:15:55 GMT 2024