Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » unresolved requirements when running product
unresolved requirements when running product [message #1800320] Mon, 24 December 2018 14:16 Go to next message
Jens Bürger is currently offline Jens BürgerFriend
Hello all,

I set up a RCP project according to the Vogella tutorial:
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseRCP/article.html

That means I have:
- a RCP project, containing the GUI code and the e4 application model
- a feature project containing dependencies, esp. the RCP project and the Ecore model project
- a product-project, with product configuration based on features, in this case my own feature (and the Eclipse features as suggested by the Vogella tutorial)

After I built the project as suggested, it ran fine. But is they grew and started to have additional dependencies, I continuously run into unresolvable dependency problems when trying to launch the project.

For example, I got this when trying to launch the product via the "Launch an Eclipse application"-link in the product overview:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.app 0 0 2018-12-24 15:02:41.942
!MESSAGE Product org.derbunker.kabelsalat.rcp.product could not be found.

!ENTRY org.derbunker.kabelsalat.rcp 2 0 2018-12-24 15:02:42.099
!MESSAGE Could not resolve module: org.derbunker.kabelsalat.rcp [13]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit

I double checked the data I have in my RCP, product and feature projects, and they are still configured as suggested by the tutorial.

Regarding the latter unresolved requirement i am quite confused, because the bundle org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit is part of the features' dependency as well as in the RCP project...

If I alter the automatically generated run configuration by clicking on "Add required plugin-ins", the missing plug-ins are added and, using the "Run" menu, I can easily run my application.

Any suggestions?
Re: unresolved requirements when running product [message #1800756 is a reply to message #1800320] Mon, 07 January 2019 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I'm not very familiar with that Eclipse RCP tutorial, but I took a quick scan and I don't see it including any features that will include the org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit bundle. That bundle is included in the org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit feature. Neither of the org.eclipse.emf.ecore or org.eclipse.emf.common features include either of the org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit bundle or feature. The org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit bundle should be included if you reference the org.eclipse.emf feature though.

Hope that helps.
Re: unresolved requirements when running product [message #1801653 is a reply to message #1800756] Thu, 24 January 2019 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your answer. To be honest, I don't fully get what I shall try now.
What I did try: remove the databinding feature from the product's configuration and adding org.eclipse.emf instead. Clicking on "Add Required" adds a plethora of additional features (.codegen.* for example). Still, running the product complains about missing dependencies.
What I don't get at this point is: from my understanding, Eclipse should be able to resolve all necessary dependencies via this way(s):

• I want to launch the product. The product has feature-based product configuration.
  • As the constituting feature, my own feature is given in the product's configuration.
  • The feature has all my plugins (RCP and EMF model) as included plug-ins.

If I do this, the launch dialog of the product tells my about a bunch of unresolved dependencies, coming from virtually all of the referenced plugins, e.g.:
org.eclipse.core.runtime
org.eclipse.e4.ui.core.di
org.eclipse.jface

What would be the right way to set up the dependencies then to let Eclipse automatically calculate all dependencies correctly?
What confuses me: when opening the launch configuration dialog and when selecting the "add required plug-ins" button, Eclipse indeed is able to resolve everything correctly.
Re: unresolved requirements when running product [message #1801672 is a reply to message #1801653] Thu, 24 January 2019 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
You need to include the org.eclipse.rcp feature.

Eclipse's extensible nature means that following transitive dependencies (require-bundle/import-package) isn't enough -- content is contributed via other means like extension points and declarative services.
Re: unresolved requirements when running product [message #1823991 is a reply to message #1800320] Mon, 06 April 2020 09:26 Go to previous message
Thank you for your information. I did as you suggested. After clicking "Add Required", I ended up with unresolved require-bundle:

• org.eclipse.emf.databinding
  • org.eclipse.emf.databinding.edit
  • org.eclipse.emf.edit
  • org.eclipse.core.resources
  • org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui
  • org.eclipse.ui.ide

I managed to solve some of the issues by adding these features:

• org.eclipse.databinding
  • org.eclipse.databinding.edit
  • org.eclipse.emf.edit
  • org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui

However, I managed to solve all unresolved constraints and ended up with 22 features (which I find quite surprising, since my project doesn't do much currently), but, when launching the product, it comes up, while a plethora of NPEs are thrown and the IDE crashes, while my RCP application still runs.

Apart from that: solving depencies this way is a tedious task, especially because adding a feature may cause transitive unresolved dependency issues. Is there no way to automate this?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2020 09:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:export failure
Next Topic:Scaling issues with text in toolbar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:23:42 GMT 2024