Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » HTML previews(I want to see a preview view for HTML)
HTML previews [message #1799177] Sat, 01 December 2018 03:56 Go to next message
Sam Hobbs is currently offline Sam HobbsFriend
I just want to see a preview view for HTML. How to program Javascript using Eclipse indicates I need to install Web Tools Platform. I am using the Neon version of Eclipse, set up for Java. I think I installed the Web Tools Platform but I still do not see a preview view for the HTML file. I do see a HTML outline in the right side.

So what do I need to look at to determine the problem? Is there something more or something different I need to install? Is it just a matter of getting Eclipse to use the HTML editor?

[Updated on: Sat, 01 December 2018 03:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HTML previews [message #1799200 is a reply to message #1799177] Sat, 01 December 2018 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Eclipse allows files to be opened in many different editors. It will pick a default editor for a file the first time you open it. This selection will be based on the editors available at the time the file was opened. Assuming that the WTP feature includes an html editor, if you opened an html file prior to installing the WTP feature , the file you had previously opened won't be associated with the html editor. You can change the editor associated with a file by selecting the file in the package explorer, right clicking, and selecting Open with from the context menu. This will give you a list of editors associated with the file. The html editor should be available from this list.

Note, I don't have much experience with the html editor. I'm just basing this on general Eclipse behavior regarding editors and opening files in them. If this doesn't solve your problem, you may want to ask for additional help on the Eclipse Web Tools Platform forum.
Re: HTML previews [message #1799201 is a reply to message #1799200] Sat, 01 December 2018 15:46 Go to previous message
Sam Hobbs is currently offline Sam HobbsFriend
Thank you David, that did it. It was probably set to "HTML Editor" and using your instructions I selected "Web Page Editor". I did something similar to a JavaScript file and I think the "JavaScript Editor" has corresponding improvements for JavaScript.
Previous Topic:From " run" to "compile" to "edit text" ???
Next Topic:Eclipse Photon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:19:13 GMT 2024