Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10?(I've been trying to get the right system documents to use Eclipse on Windows computer. )
Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799107] Thu, 29 November 2018 18:54 Go to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
On my Mac I can see the Eclipse is using: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.2.jdk/

In trying to get the right system on my inexpensive HP running Microsoft 10, I made a mistake by adding JDK 11 because I want some of the utility present only In 10. I downloaded 10, but using the terninal I could see only. Java 11. Yet the I checked somewhere else (can't remember which mysterious tab got me there) I saw 8, 10, and 11. Was this just some register that hadn't gotten updated?

When using the terminal interface on the Microsoft 10 system, what subdirectory should have a copy of JDK-10?

Thanks.
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799115 is a reply to message #1799107] Fri, 30 November 2018 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Were they all 64-bit Java installations, and all from the same vendor (e.g. Oracle)? On Windows you'll have to take
care to match the 32/64-bitness of Eclipse and the version of Java used for running it.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799116 is a reply to message #1799115] Fri, 30 November 2018 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't even find the files. That was part of my question. On my Mac it is a snap to track Java down. On this new Microsoft system I can't find anything except by using the terminal and going through the actual directory system. But somehow I'm not looking in the right place.

Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799124 is a reply to message #1799116] Fri, 30 November 2018 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
On Windows 64 bit you should find the 64 bit versions of them in C:\Program Files\Java and the 32 bit versions in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java (if you Installed Oracle JREs/JDKS).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799131 is a reply to message #1799124] Fri, 30 November 2018 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. I'll have a look in the morning.

I did manage to find a reference to Java files when I went into the part of Windows 10 that lets you delete applications, and there it had JDK 8, which I deleted. Then I set it to upload JDK 10, and a few minutes ago it was still downloading. Maybe I've got it this time.

The funny thing is that I did check out C:\Program Files\Java and the 32 bit versions in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java, and there was nothing there even though I managed to delete JDK 8 after seeing both those subdirectories empty. I guess information was cached somewhere and not refreshed when I deleted the files that were once in those locations (JDK 11 and JDK 8 if I remember correctly.

I may have a faulty computer. It is the most twitchy computer I've ever tried to use. Things seem to open at random. Hovering over the JDK 10 without intending to do so deleted the file that I had succeeded in downloading after some trouble, JDK 10, instead of the JDK 11 I was thinking of deleting.

Oddly, Microsoft activity is like a hippy commune and Macintosh activity is like a well-regimented military unit. How strange, just the opposite of what I would have expected. Just plain rigidity of design was originally the spiritual child of Bill Gates. "We know what is good for you, and you'll do it the way we've set out for you or be damned."
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799151 is a reply to message #1799131] Fri, 30 November 2018 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would not delete things from such folders and Windows. Best to uninstall them or the system registry will contain broken references to them. Yes, Windows knows what's best for you and best you not disagree with it...

Ed Merks
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799179 is a reply to message #1799151] Sat, 01 December 2018 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Long story. Finally got the right version of Java on my Microsoft-side computer. Now I am wondering what the identification is for the most recent version of Eclipse. Is it still Photon? If not, what should I look for?
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799186 is a reply to message #1799179] Sat, 01 December 2018 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll always find the latest release on https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ which is current 2018-09.

Ed Merks
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799189 is a reply to message #1799186] Sat, 01 December 2018 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the age of naming releases by names, Neon, Oxygen, Photon..., is dead? No Quasar?
The reason I ask is that on starting to run the 2018-09 I see something about selecting a repository, and I have no idea what that is all about.. I've tried Google and get nothing useful at all. I don't have any repositories and I don't know where to get one, how to make one, or much about how to recognize one if I ever stumbled across it.

Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799191 is a reply to message #1799189] Sat, 01 December 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, WindowBuilder seems to have changed. I can't see any way to "open using" anymore. I did manage to make a file by accessing WindowBuilder, and when I had made it, it opened in the WindowBuilder editor.

I assume "right click" on a computer with only a touch pad and no mouse is, as in Mac computers, holding down "control" while clicking.
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799196 is a reply to message #1799191] Sat, 01 December 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, with 4 full releases per year, the age of naming each one is over.

Selecting repositories? Where do you see that? If you mean in the installer? The general installer has a choice of product versions so it can install anything from Juno through 2018-09, or even 2018-12, but that's not a released version until later in December.

WindowBuilder-specific questions are likely best asked on their specific forum:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.windowbuilder

Ed Merks
Re: Can JDK 10 work for Eclipse running on Windows 10? [message #1799276 is a reply to message #1799196] Mon, 03 December 2018 19:52 Go to previous message
When I opened the latest Eclipse on my Windows computer and started to make a new project I think that was the first decision I was supposed to make. After puzzling over it for a while I just ignored it. As a result I was able to make a minimal program, get it to compile, get it to show up on screen. I'm on my Mac right now and hurrying to get some stuff done away from home. This evening I'll go back to my Windows computer and recheck everything.
Previous Topic:MSI Installer for Eclipse IDE
Next Topic:Can we update the table column values using BIRT Eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:04:06 GMT 2024