Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Communication Framework » Installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero
Installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero [message #1798856] Mon, 26 November 2018 16:34 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
I am starting from scratch installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero.
The procedure calls for copying /machine /arm to /machine/armv6l

/org.eclipse.tcf.agent/agent $ cp -R machine/arm machine/armv6l

Please note the option 'l".
The GCC complier does not recognize such option.
Only plain "armv6" , no "l".

There are other options to use with arm6.

I ask Mrs Google what are the differences between plain armv6 and armv6l.
No luck.

I really do not know if TCF cares about armv6l option , but I am trying to eliminate any "what if" problems.

Re: Installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero [message #1798864 is a reply to message #1798856] Mon, 26 November 2018 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Tarassov is currently offline Eugene TarassovFriend
No need to copy files. The agent makefile is already updated to handle armv6l as generic arm machine:

MACHINE := $(shell uname -m)
ifeq ($(MACHINE),armv6l)
MACHINE := arm
endif
Re: Installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero [message #1798867 is a reply to message #1798864] Mon, 26 November 2018 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I did note the folder armv6l.
But I am no make expert so I did the cp anyway.

That is ONE of the issues about the orignal YAKINDU article - it did not explain the process of installing TCF.
It also missed setting up the "TCF configuration " on Eclipse....

Re: Installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero [message #1798905 is a reply to message #1798856] Tue, 27 November 2018 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Hi,

if I remember correctly, these are directory names and not compiler options. You copy the directory "machine/armv6" into the directory named "machine/armv6l" where the last character is a lowercase ell and not an uppercase I.

This copy step is necessary because the auto-detected machine type (as returned by "uname -m" on a Raspberry Pi used to be "armv6l". If the "uname -m" returns something else on your Pi Zero, you may need to copy the armv6 folder into a folder with the other name that you see.

HTH,
Martin
Re: Installing TCF on Raspberry Pi Zero [message #1798931 is a reply to message #1798905] Tue, 27 November 2018 14:59 Go to previous message
Thanks,
I have received a note form Eugene Tarassov and he stated that the folder /machine/armv6l is already build by "make". So the "CP..." command / installation step s not necessary.
I can check that next time I reinstall TCF.
I cannot find what or if it makes a difference installing TCF for "armv6" or "armv6l".

But it definitely makes a difference compiling C++ code for "arm7" or "armv6" - as it should.
GCC won't compile with "armv6l", but it does compile with "armv6".

BUT - there must be some other compiler option for RPi Zero to actually run.
That is what I am researching now.
Previous Topic:.FileNotFoundException:
Next Topic:TCF / Linux error signal 11 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:09:55 GMT 2024