Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Newbie needs help with PDT 3.2.0/XDebug/Chrome(Convert from PHPStorm confused by XDebug behavior with PDT)
Newbie needs help with PDT 3.2.0/XDebug/Chrome [message #1798805] Sun, 25 November 2018 22:13 Go to next message
Dan Morton is currently offline Dan MortonFriend
I currently use PHPStorm to debug a phpBB Board, but my (free) academic license is about to expire, and I'm looking for a free alternative. I'm checking out Eclipse PDT, but the behavior seems different.

In PHPStorm, I can set breakpoints and then enable debugging by clicking the debug icon as shown here:

index.php/fa/34397/0/

I can then launch Chrome, navigate to my site, and choose "Debug" from the Chrome XDebug plug-in as shown ihere:

index.php/fa/34398/0/

Then as I operate my website in Chrome and encounter the breakpoint, PHPStorm comes to the fore and permits me to examine variables.

I believe I have set XDebug as my debug agent in PDT, but I don't encounter breakpoints I have set as I navigate my site in Chrome. I think I may have hit breakpoints using the internal browser, but I can't seem to reproduce it reliably - and, I would really like to operate the browser independent of PDT, as I did with PHPStorm. Is it possible, and is it simply the case that I may have misconfigured PDT for debugging? And leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
  • Attachment: PHPStorm.jpg
    (Size: 15.21KB, Downloaded 453 times)
  • Attachment: Chrome.jpg
    (Size: 12.26KB, Downloaded 418 times)
Re: Newbie needs help with PDT 3.2.0/XDebug/Chrome [message #1798868 is a reply to message #1798805] Mon, 26 November 2018 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dawid Pakula is currently offline Dawid PakulaFriend
PDT listen for incoming xdebug connections from localhost by default, so you can start using chrome xdebug helper. But if phpstorm claim port, eclipse might not work.

You can configure this behaviour in settings. Internal browser isn't requirement and can be easy configured in eclipse settings.

Re: Newbie needs help with PDT 3.2.0/XDebug/Chrome [message #1798872 is a reply to message #1798805] Mon, 26 November 2018 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zrin Ziborski is currently offline Zrin ZiborskiFriend
Hello, I've also started using Eclipse DPT recently.

To start the debugger for XDebug and external browser, I've configured a debug profile for the internal browser. Once I start debugging, I'm able to connect from the external browser as well and then close the internal browser session. I guess I just need to find out how to start it for external sessions without this "workaround."

Regarding breakpoints, PDT will break on the first line if the corresponding setting is enabled, but it will miss (some or all?) other breakpoints. This did work as expected in the previous version, so I guess it is a recently introduces bug.

(I've upgraded because the previous version used to (sometimes) stop responding when an XDebug connection from an unrelated webapp came in during a debug session and because of the annoying "use of undefined variable" and "variable not used" warning in the editor for global level variables. The warnings are still here though.)
Re: Newbie needs help with PDT 3.2.0/XDebug/Chrome [message #1798881 is a reply to message #1798868] Tue, 27 November 2018 02:52 Go to previous message
Dan Morton is currently offline Dan MortonFriend
Thank you! I was running Eclipse when PHPStorm was not running - so they were not stepping on each other's toes. But I found this wonderful article:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Debugging_using_XDebug

...and now I am running PDT/XDebug/Chrome! It's working perfectly. I have a lot to learn about Eclipse, but this will definitely work for me.

Dan
Previous Topic:Eclipse Php : variable undefined evenif it is defined in an require_once php file
Next Topic:Eclipse IDE for PHP crashes on launch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:51:26 GMT 2024