Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances
GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances [message #1798541] Tue, 20 November 2018 09:45 Go to next message
Patrick Muscat is currently offline Patrick MuscatFriend
Hello,

After investigating for performance problem with moving anchorage of several connections, we noticed that the checkCursor of ListListenerHelperEx in the bundle org.eclipse.gef.common was the sticky point.

We are using this version: Eclipse-SourceReferences: scm:git:https://github.com/eclipse/gef.git;path="org.eclipse.gef.common";commitId=51a73027b7d9c631d94e98b0ac97ff7a1e83f51e

We simply removed it and all its calls and did not noticed any error until now. Is it a good cure or is there any reason of this check we shoudn't ignore ?

Title [/Edit]

[Updated on: Tue, 20 November 2018 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances [message #1802539 is a reply to message #1798541] Mon, 11 February 2019 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Patrick,

thank you very much for sharing!

As far as I can see, it should be safe to remove the checks. Only in the case when a change is not correctly iterated, then you would get an exception if the checks are enabled.

I will investigate w.r.t. the performance implications. However, due to the anchor architecture, I believe in many cases, this change will not be sufficient to resolve performance issues. Nonetheless, I will discuss this change for GEF with a colleague and experiment with it, too.

Best regards,
Matthias
Re: GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances [message #1803284 is a reply to message #1802539] Tue, 26 February 2019 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Muscat is currently offline Patrick MuscatFriend
Hi Matthias,

It works well and fastly so far with several dozens of diagrams build since then and more and more coming in the future.

Thanks for your work on GEF !
Patrick
Re: GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances [message #1803712 is a reply to message #1803284] Thu, 07 March 2019 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
João Pedro is currently offline João PedroFriend
Hello guys! I'm also having serious performance issues due to the Connections and your solution doesn't seem to solve the problem or me.

I did a new ConnectionVisual and a new class for the OptimizedListListenerHelperEx based on: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=274301&action=diff

And yet, moving a part with 3/4 connections is really really slow. Is there any extra step that I'm missing here?

Edit: I also tried in the meanwhile to make a ListListenerHelperExModified class with the checkCursor erased. Same result.

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 07 March 2019 14:07]

Re: GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances [message #1803720 is a reply to message #1803712] Thu, 07 March 2019 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Matthias,

I also tried upgrading to GEF 5.0.400 (2019/03/02). The result was the same.

I'm trying to understand why I don't see this problem when running the standalone MindMap example but have it in when running my application with the integrated GEF. I verified and I'm using the same plug-in' versions. Both are running in Eclipse Photon.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 March 2019 15:09]

Re: GEF5 Moving anchorage of anchored Connections performances [message #1803734 is a reply to message #1803720] Thu, 07 March 2019 19:50 Go to previous message
In addition to the changes aforementioned, I noticed that the OrthogonalRouter is responsible for much of the slowness. Have you ever noticed this?

If I remove:
visual.setRouter(new OrthogonalRouter());

from doCreateVisual() or replace it by
visual.setInterpolator(new PolylineInterpolator());

the gef app gets way more responsive. However, I really wanted to make Orthogonal Connections....
Previous Topic:Increase selectable Connection Part
Next Topic:GEF5 Problem Setting Graph Background
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:18:28 GMT 2024