Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to make eclipse usable(Too slow, far too slow, in fact it is really really pissing me off)
How to make eclipse usable [message #1798522] Tue, 20 November 2018 07:14 Go to next message
Dave Hitchman is currently offline Dave HitchmanFriend
How the hell can I be expected to work with eclipse when it takes at least 5 seonds per character?????
How the hell do I fix this piece of shit so I can actualy type more than one line of code a day and avoid a heart attack bought on by anger and frustration?

Really,, cant someone actually test anything anymore??
Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798523 is a reply to message #1798522] Tue, 20 November 2018 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You haven't told us anything about the version of Eclipse,
the environment in which you're running it, or even what
you're doing. If you are actually looking for answers, start
with those details.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798648 is a reply to message #1798523] Thu, 22 November 2018 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
Dear "senior member" .
Even when th OP is making general remark you need to realize people just do not waste their time just because.
This "product" has been noted for problems any serious business would appreciate if they are TOLD about them , no matter if not in details.
The issue is not that OP is not specific , the issue is Eclipse foundation does not do much of QA and does not appreciate inputs from users.
I would not be surprised if the OP will be banned from further posting - such is NORMAL reaction from "volunteer forum management " in many cases.

I suppose next comments will be "what do you want for free?" or "we are all volunteers..."

I made an error downloading ALL programs for Eclipse - now it takes OVER 15 minutes for Eclipse to start and there is NO WAY to remove RANGE of applications...
After each removal I have to restart Eclipse and wait another 15 minutes to remove next app.
Of course expected answer will be "user error ", right?

I would recommend to you and the OP - read "The inmates are running the asylum " to really get a feel how software is " produced". And Eclipse foundation fits right in.

Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798654 is a reply to message #1798648] Thu, 22 November 2018 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Firstly, it's nice when people asking questions aren't rude about it. Perhaps it's a language/cultural thing, but hell and shit are not good words to use when communicating in English. I can understand that frustration can lead to anger which is often expressed using poorly chosen wording. But you need to realize that people who are helping for free don't like to be treated rudely.

Secondly Eclipse is not a product. The packages distributed directly from Eclipse are composed from a large collection of features and plugins and each of these independently or in combination may have bugs (and of course those bugs depend on exactly which versions of the features and plugins are installed). But people often install many additional features and plugins from the internet that in turn can introduce problems and undesirable behavior that are unique to those things that have been installed. So when someone complains in the forum about some problem, we really need to know exactly what they have installed and where they are seeing the problem. If the user is writing code in Python, and complaining about the editor, they are likely using PyDev which is not produced by Eclipse, so that makes it hard to help them here.

Of course I use Eclipse all day every day and also many different versions of it. I have never (in 17 years) seen delays in typing characters and of course I would have a canary if there were often 5 second delays. I would find out why that's happening and I would find the responsible code to help fix it. So I'm at a loss to figure out how to help on this thread without more specific details.

Thirdly the Eclipse Foundation does not create the software and does not answer questions on this forum. That's done by helpful volunteers. I estimate that I've spent 200 8 hour days answering questions on various Eclipse forums over the last 17 years. Unusually there's not even a thank you in response. But then, as they say, helping is its own reward.

In any case, yes, of course your answers will come from volunteers, so minimally should consider to treat them respectfully and appreciate that we to do not waste our time just because...

Personally I would ban users who write abusive language but first I would encourage those who post to the forum to omit profanity from their posts. What goes around, comes around...

I'm not sure what compelled you to install everything! But yes, I've long ago noted that installing everything makes a big mess:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=483982

But "everything" is produced by a very large group of people and no one individual actually feels responsible for how everything works together at once but rather each feels responsible only for the parts they contribute.

In your case, it's easier to create clean new installation; using the Eclipse installer it take one minute to install a package that's you've previous installed....

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re%3a+How+to+make+eclipse+usable [message #1798662] Thu, 22 November 2018 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
No Message Body
Re%253a%2bHow%2bto%2bmake%2beclipse%2busable [message #1798663] Thu, 22 November 2018 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
No Message Body
Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798669 is a reply to message #1798654] Thu, 22 November 2018 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I refuse to read these physiological analysis posted by people who have no business to criticize how people post.
Hell it is THEIR choice and THEY must be aware of consequences - usually being banned from forum .
Have a nice day.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 November 2018 14:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798701 is a reply to message #1798669] Fri, 23 November 2018 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I agree with Ed Merks.

I am using Eclipse on an older MacBook Pro. It has problems. I took it to the "Genius Bar" to see why it was getting so slow, they ran diagnostics on it, and the verdict is that there is something screwed up in the software and I will need to make a full backup, wipe the disk drive shiny clean, install new system documents, and then hope that I can get everything back again. I believe them when they say it's reload or suffer because I did the same thing with a living-dead Mac several years ago and it is still going strong. I keep it to run heritage software on.

I am using Eclipse on a very recently purchased MacBook Pro, and it is so speedy even in doing stuff that required lots of CPU bandwidth that sadly the only thing I have left to blame my dissatisfactions on is operator error. The only really obnoxious thing that has happened is that somehow some software put out data in UTF-16 instead of the ordinary UTF-8, and I unknowingly combined two data sets and ended up with everything converted to UTF-16 by some other software, leaving a database that appeared to be all there, because it was, but that couldn't produce results when run through other database software that expected UTF-8. I think that has something to do with advances is Mac firmware.

Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798721 is a reply to message #1798701] Fri, 23 November 2018 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
I'm running Eclipse (2018-09) in my MacBook Pro (late 2008), both under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and virtual Kubuntu Linux 18.04LTS. When set up correctly, both run fine, enough to develop a couple of hundreds of kilobytes embedded code for ARMs.

Please do not yell. Friendly requests get help easier.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798770 is a reply to message #1798721] Fri, 23 November 2018 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rose sophos is currently offline rose sophosFriend
thank you for thie suggestions.
Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798789 is a reply to message #1798721] Sun, 25 November 2018 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio wrote on Fri, 23 November 2018 09:03
I'm running Eclipse (2018-09) in my MacBook Pro (late 2008), both under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and virtual Kubuntu Linux 18.04LTS. When set up correctly,

this unfriendly remark implies that users are dummies and cannot set their IDE "correctly"

both run fine, enough to develop a couple of hundreds of kilobytes embedded code for ARMs.

just because it works for you does not guarantee it will work for somebody else - try debugging TCF!

Please do not yell. Friendly requests get help easier.

In an essence - your defence of software which is being "developed" in such pace tells the story to anybody who does not just only read what is posted.

I just downloaded the latest IDE for C++ and so far it automatically , without my intervention, generated about half a dozen "bug" reposts. ( Yes I did posted them as instructed )
And all on "hello world" sample C++ code ! Very impressive.

Even for free, the users should have a working , debugged and passed thru QA software.
Telling the user "it has to be correctly installed " is more insulting than BEGIN ALLERGIC TO SHOUTING.

Get over it. ( There is no other , more friendly way to tell)

Re: How to make eclipse usable [message #1798791 is a reply to message #1798789] Sun, 25 November 2018 07:08 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I must admit that CDT is notoriously difficult to get working. We used it to develop some native code when developing Oomph. One developer got a development environment working on his machine, with days of effort, but when he got a new machine, it was next to impossible to get it working again. So many magical settings to get exactly right. Thank goodness we don't need to change the native code written in C very often. I'd like to change one small part of it, but I'd probably have to more than a day to try to get the code compiled. Of course if I used command line tools directly, it wouldn't be any easier!

In any case, in CDT's defense, it's really hard to hook into all the native tools required to build. The tools are in unpredictable locations that are quite different between all the operating system variants that must be supported. As such, CDT's bug list is quite long:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&classification=Tools&list_id=18042569&product=CDT&query_format=advanced

Of course you don't need to be reminded that nobody out there funds any of this work; the companies that need and use CDT, and have the spare cash, invest in it. But I agree with you that CDT is not easy to set up correct!

Note though that a thread that asks about "Making Eclipse usable", with no mention of what the user is actually using, nor any response from that user when asked, has turned it into your soapbox platform from which to shout at all of us about CDT. Perhaps your reach a more receptive audience shouting in the CDT forum. A sizeable majority of Eclipse users use JDT to do Java development, and that's super easy to set up and to get working out of the box. Your commentary simply does apply to JDT nor to Eclipse in general. I sympathize with anyone trying to get CDT working initially because my experience is that this is a super challenging task...

In the end though, your biting sarcasm, nasty attitude, and generally insulting behavior is unbecoming on a public forum. It's not surprising that people who dish out insults like fine food, take insult themselves so easily. Maybe all of your friends and family at home think your behavior is perfectly acceptable, or maybe you behave better when you can see the face of the person with whom you are communicating. I'm pretty sure you can do better if you actually tried, keeping in mind that you are communicating with real human beings. To me you seem embittered, and I can sympathize with that feeling; it's super frustrating when you want to work on developing software and you actually spend time instead installing and configuring tools. Bad experience with this doesn't bring out the best in any of us.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Tips on using SpringLayout?
Next Topic:Java development for Windows and Android
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:31:20 GMT 2024