Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » OCL » Specify Constraint for Parameter of a UML Operation
Specify Constraint for Parameter of a UML Operation [message #1798041] Sun, 11 November 2018 16:52 Go to next message
Thomas Pusztai is currently offline Thomas PusztaiFriend
Hi,

I have a UML model and I would like to specify some constraints using OCL. Specifying invariants for classes works fine, but now I need to define a constraint on the parameter of an operation.

For example, let's suppose I have a class BankAccount with an operation executeTransfer(transfer: TransferDetails). A TransferDetails object contains the amount of money to be transferred and the destination of the transfer. How do I specify, e.g., that transfer.amount cannot be more than the current balance of the BankAccount?

I can create a preCondition for the executeTransfer() operation, but how do I access the attributes of the transfer parameter?
Re: Specify Constraint for Parameter of a UML Operation [message #1798077 is a reply to message #1798041] Mon, 12 November 2018 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I don't see the problem so my answer has to be just do it. If you provided a repro comprising your metamodel and your best attempt at just doing it, I could see where you went wrong / why I don't understand the problem.

(Instinctively I would tend to define an Operation rather than a Parameter constraint; Parameter is getting a bit fine-grained. But UML decided to categorize Operation constraints as pre/post/body-conditions and AFAIAA USE is the only OCL tooling that does more than syntax check Operation conditions. A Parameter constraint might actually be a rather good idea.)

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Specify Constraint for Parameter of a UML Operation [message #1798116 is a reply to message #1798077] Mon, 12 November 2018 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your response. Here is a class diagram of the example I talked about:
index.php/fa/34314/0/

I want to use a precondition for the executeTransfer() operation to make sure that the amount that should be transferred is not greater than the balance of the bank account.

I tried this:
self.transfer.amount >= self.owner.balance

Then I realized that, even though it is a precondition for the executeTransfer operation, the context of the expression seems to be the BankAccount class.

So I tried this:
self.executeTransfer.transfer.amount >= self.balance

This yields the following error message when trying to validate the model:

"Parsing error for Example::BankExample::BankAccount::executeTransfer::preExecuteTransfer::self.executeTransfer.transfer.amount >= self.balance: 
The 'executeTransfer::preExecuteTransfer' constraint is invalid: 'self.executeTransfer.transfer.amount >= self.balance' 1: Unresolved Property 'Example::BankExample::BankAccount::executeTransfer' 1: Unresolved Operation 'OclInvalid::>=(Real)'"

Best regards,
Thomas
Re: Specify Constraint for Parameter of a UML Operation [message #1798117 is a reply to message #1798116] Mon, 12 November 2018 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The precondition executes just the same as the operation.

Yes self is the context class. If you want to refer to a parameter, do not prefix it with self, just as in Java you would not use this.argument to access a function argument.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Specify Constraint for Parameter of a UML Operation [message #1798375 is a reply to message #1798117] Fri, 16 November 2018 11:02 Go to previous message
Hi,

Sorry for my late response.

I tried out your suggestions today and with your hints I was able to figure out the correct statement:
transfer.amount >= self.balance

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Thomas
Previous Topic:"Create Dynamic Instance" in OCLinEcore tutorial
Next Topic:Initialise Map in OCL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:29:49 GMT 2024