Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Xdebug - breakpoints don't work
Xdebug - breakpoints don't work [message #1797522] Thu, 01 November 2018 06:47 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I can't get breakpoints to work with xdebug. I'm using M1 on Windows
Vista. I'm trying to debug a simple PHP script using the CLI version of
PHP. I have the "PHP -> PHP Executables" settings set properly. But the
IDE will not store the settings that I set under "PHP -> Debug". I set
Xdebug as my PHP Debugger and set the Default PHP executable, and hit
"Apply" and then "OK". But when I come back to those settings, they are
back at default with the "Zend Debugger".

[Updated on: Mon, 28 October 2019 18:17] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Xdebug - breakpoints don't work [message #1798612 is a reply to message #1797522] Wed, 21 November 2018 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sachin Memu is currently offline Sachin MemuFriend
facing the same problem here. can't get breakpoints with xdebug
Re: Xdebug - breakpoints don't work [message #1798874 is a reply to message #1797522] Mon, 26 November 2018 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zrin Ziborski is currently offline Zrin ZiborskiFriend
I've also experienced that the breakpoints do not work - just breaking on the first line works. This is a new problem in 2018-09, it did work in a previous version.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 September 2019 05:37]

Re: Xdebug - breakpoints don't work [message #1799571 is a reply to message #1798874] Mon, 10 December 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zrin Ziborski is currently offline Zrin ZiborskiFriend
It seems to me that there are (at least) two problems that cause Xdebug / breakpoints to stop working:

1) problems with path mapping

- Eclipse PDT will sometimes confuse path mappings / use wrong path mapping, e.g. on an unrelated Xdebug connection, possibly from the same server.
This is especially dangerous if you have two similar projects and you end up editing wrong files. You can then first wonder why your changes have no effect on the server and later hope to be able to easily undo unwanted changes to the other project.

- When adding path mapping on Windows, it is impossible to enter UNC path like \\web\www - error "Path in file system is illegal or not absolute" is shown.

- The Debugger will sometimes fail to get the correct mapping, even if it is explicitly set up. Probably because of (2) -

2) Problems with project mapping and project registration within workspace.
- sometimes when trying to set path mapping between server and workspace, the dialog opened to browse the Workspace will be empty
- sometimes, Xdebug session will be connected and the debugger will accept user input to step through the code, showing the position in the code in the debug pane. But no source file will be open to show the code.

Creating a new workspace and setting up the project from scratch helps to get Xdebug to work, at least for a while.

One time while setting up a project from scratch to be able to use Xdebug, I had to first set up the project without "RDT Remote Sync" and then add the sync feature afterwards in order for everything to work.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 December 2018 12:17]

Re: Xdebug - breakpoints don't work [message #1815933 is a reply to message #1798874] Tue, 15 October 2019 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DI V is currently offline DI VFriend
Is this really an Xdebug issue, or only an Eclipse issue?
In other words, will the same problems happen with Zend Debugger? If so, then it seems to be an Eclipse issue, not caused by Xdebug. If not, then it could be a 'workaround' to swap to using that alternative debugger.

--DIV
Re: Xdebug - breakpoints don't work [message #1831863 is a reply to message #1815933] Tue, 01 September 2020 09:47 Go to previous message
Mathieu Dubois is currently offline Mathieu DuboisFriend
Hello,

I faced a similar issue earlier this year (2020). See https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1824464. In my case, xdebug was working so the problem clearly came from Eclipse.

I never found a solution but I removed the .metadata folder in the workspace and restarted Eclipse (of course, I have a backup): I had to reconfigure server and debuggers and reimport my projects but it works now (luckily, I stored project specific debug configuration in the project not in the workspace as explained in https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1095345/).

HTH,
Mathieu
Previous Topic:[SOLVED] PDT and Xdebug 2.9.4
Next Topic:Can display errors with undefined variables in class
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:23:34 GMT 2024